Smathers Libraries Career Development Handbook
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT/SABBATICAL LEAVE PROGRAMS
APPLICATION INFORMATION 2008-2009
Name/Rank _______________________ ___________________________
UF ID Number ___________________________________
Campus Phone No._____________________________________________
Department PO Box Address______________________________
Professional Development__________ Sabbatical Leave_____
Semester (s) Leave requested for ______________________________________
APPLICATION OF LEAVE FOR (MARK ONLY ONE)
Tenured Faculty _______ or
Non-tenured Faculty _____
PAY STATUS REQUESTED ( MARK ONLY ONE):
One Semester Full Pay Fall 2008 __________
One Semester Full Pay Spring 2009__________
Two Semesters Half-Pay 2008 -2009 __________
Number of years of full-time service at the University of Florida __________
Number of previous full and half-pay Professional Development and Sabbatical Leaves ______
Number of years of service since your last ,if any full-pay Professional Development or Sabbatical Leave:________
Attach a brief (one page) description of the activities proposed for the leave program period, the location where these activities will take place, a brief statement of the benefits of the proposed program activities to the University, the profession, and to you and submit the application information with a current resume to your chair. Proposed sabbatical programs should comprise academic projects relevant to the instructional and research missions of the applicant's unit. By the end of August, the chair is required to complete the evaluation and submit it to the dean or director for review by the College or Unit Selection Committee. Consequently, the application should be submitted to the chair prior to this date.
Terms of the Program
1. While on this leave program, the employee's salary will be one-half pay for the academic year for two semesters, or full-pay for one-semester. A summer session may be requested as one of the terms by 12-month faculty only. The leave may not extend beyond the academic year awarded.
2. The employee must return to the University for at least one academic year following participation in the program. Agreements to the contrary must be produced in writing prior to participation. Return to the University of salary received during the program may be required in those instances where neither of the above is satisfied.
3. The employee must within thirty days upon returning from the program, provide a concise written report of the employee's accomplishments during the sabbatical to the chair with a copy to the dean or director. This report must include information regarding the activities undertaken during the sabbatical, the results accomplished during the sabbatical as they affect the employee and the university, and research or other scholarly work produced or expected to be produced as a result of the sabbatical.
4. An employee on a leave program assignment will be evaluated on the leave activities. It is incumbent on the employee to provide a copy of the written report in a timely manner to make such an evaluation possible.
5. Contributions normally made by the university to retirement and Social Security programs shall be continued on a basis proportional to the salary received. University contributions normally made to other employee insurance programs and any other employee benefit programs shall be continued on a regular basis during the leave program. (It is suggested that employees check with the Fringe Benefits Office to make sure benefits are continued.)
6. Eligible employees shall continue to accrue annual and sick leave on a full-time basis during the sabbatical.
7. While on leave, an employee shall be permitted to receive funds for travel and living expenses, and other leave-related expenses, from sources other than the university, such as fellowships, grants-in-aid, and contracts and grants, to assist in accomplishing the purposes of the leave. Receipt of funds for such purposes shall not result in reduction of the employee’s university salary. If financial assistance is received in the form of salary, the University salary shall normally be reduced by the amount necessary to bring the total income of the leave period to a level comparable to the employee’s current year salary rate. Employment unrelated to the purpose of the leave is governed by 6C1-1.011, F.A.C.
Disclosure of Outside Activities
I acknowledge that I have read and understand the terms of the program as set forth above, and, if a program leave is granted, that I will abide by and be bound by these terms.
Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President 2004