Monographic Copy Adds
All copies to new locations are to receive LC call numbers, regardless of classification followed for previous locations. The only exception to this will be books in a series classified as a whole in Dewey. In this case consult with the Authorities and Database Maintenance Unit.
Adds to the same location will receive a LC call number rather than the Dewey number used for previous copies. The exceptions to this are the Latin American Collection (UFSLA) and the Music Library (UFSMU) which will continue to use the Dewey classification for these added copies.
- Search the item in Aleph by title.
- Check bibliographic record and compare to item.
- If the bibliographic record does not match the book in hand, procede to Step 6.
- If the bibliographic record matches the book in hand, update or correct errors in the bibliographic record, as needed (typos, missing information) and proceed to Step 3.
- If the record is outdated, it may be best to simply overlay the bib with an updated copy from OCLC, assuming there is no valuable local data that would be lost. If the record is a CARP or ReMarc record always overlay, saving any needed local information before overlaying.
- Copies fpr the Smatheries Libraries can now be added to records with OWN fields other than PUBLIC and UF. See this link for a list of OWN codes that should be changed to PUBLIC. It is important to note that if this is the first copy for one of the Smathers Libraries, you will need to update the holdings in OCLC.
- If the OWN code is UF, change it to PUBLIC
- Open Items Tab
- Item List displays. Click "New" button
- Add the following information
- Material Type
- Item Staus
- Item Processing Staus
- Click the "Update" button
- Click on the HOL Links tab in the bottom pane of the Item Tab.
- Click the "Create New" button. This will create a new holdings record automatically populating the subfields b,c h, and i (h and i only if there is a 050 or 090 field in the bib record) in the holdings record and automatically link the item you created with the correct holdings record.
- Check the call no. in subfields h and i. Make sure it matches the call no. used for the first copy in the same location.
- Add a subfield t to the 852 and fill in the correct copy number (number only)
- The system no. of the Holdings record you have linked to should display in "Hol. Link" Box on the General Information (1) tab of the item record.
- Add "c.2" (or appropriate copy number) in "Description" field of the item record
- LDR and 008 fields: No changes needed
- 852 field : Put cursor on 852. Use F6 and type in the 852 if not present.
- Use Ctrl+f (to open form) or F7 (to add subfields)
- Edit or add the following as needed:
- 1st indicator: 0 (zero) for LC call no., 1 for Dewey call no., etc.
- 2nd indicator: blank
- Subfield a for our library: FU
- Subfield b for sublibrary
- Subfield c for collection
- Subfield h for 1st part of call no. (what's in $$a of 050, 090, etc.)
- Subfield i for 2nd part of call no. (what's in $$b of 050, 090, etc.)
- Subfield t for copy no. (2, 3, etc., as appropriate)
- Subfield x for nonpublic note (put your initials here)
- Subfield z for public note, if needed. Use if a printing different from first copy.
- Save on server.
- You may wish to write down the system no. of the Holdings record you just created to make sure you link to the right HOL record in the next step.
- Be sure to include c.2 or c.3 or c.x as part of call number written in the back of the book.
- Choose one record to which to attach your copy holdings information (choose a record with an order record over one without; otherwise choose the most complete record) and update the holdings screen of the record you have chosen. Process book as indicated above
- Transfer holdings and item record(s) to the correct (or best) record. Mark for suppression the record(s) not used.
Indexed: Monographic Copy Adds
Prepared by: Doug Smith
Last updated: October 10, 2008