Contributed Cataloging Section
2002/2003 Annual Report
CCS FY03 Strategic Objectives http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/rs/rsd/CCobjective0203.html
Support Aleph migration activities
- Played major role in Aleph migration activities related to cataloging, authorities, and indexing
- Developed and implemented efficient workflow and procedural documentation to manage data review
Compiled approximately 500 problem reports across three subset loads and one full load
- Participated in numerous meetings and training sessions to support effort, such as:
Continue cataloging work for incoming and other material
Maintained cataloging productivity in key areas while performing Aleph related tasks
- Total original cataloging output stayed essentially the same as FY02 (excluding EDIS)
(4,718 titles in FY02; 4,605 titles in FY03)
Original cataloging of Internet Resources increased 35% from FY02 (excluding EDIS)
(493 titles in FY02; 665 titles in FY03)
Original cataloging of Videos increased 151% from FY02
(103 titles in FY02; 259 titles in FY03)
Original cataloging of Cartographics increased 19% from FY02
(234 titles in FY02; 301 titles in FY03)
Original cataloging of Monographs decreased 12% from FY02
(3,574 titles in FY02; 3,125 titles in FY03)
- Copy cataloging, including Enhance/Upgrade, decreased 19% from FY02
The decrease was caused in part from a planned change in workflow designed to reduce the amount of member copy cataloged by the Section. In mid-May CBS stopped distributing With Call Number items and by mid-June had also stopped distributing most Without Call Number items.
- In addition, the following statistics were recorded from outside the three core Section units:
The Monograph title count was generated primarily by the NEFLIN and NEH grants, but also included TechPro cataloging. The count is significantly smaller than FY02 (6,419 titles) because the NEFLIN grant ended in fall 2002 and the NEH grant ended in spring 2003.
- 3,917 Monograph titles
- 5 Serial titles
- 37,754 Microform titles (includes 27,543 EEBO records)
- 150 Manuscript/Archives titles (LSTA grant)
- 1,173 Internet Resource titles (netLibrary)
- Authority work involved the support of ongoing cataloging as well as pre-migration and data review activities
(see 2002/2003 Annual Authorities Report at http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/rs/rsd/authrpt02.html)
- 75 Hebrew titles were outsourced to OCLC TechPro in FY03.
- 52 arrearage titles were withdrawn or cataloged bring the total arrearage count to 1,318, down 4% from FY02.
Participate in library efforts to provide access to electronic resources, particularly locally digitized material
Collaborated with the Digital Library Center to provide access to locally digitized collections and develop automated methods of record creation
- Consulted on multiple digital projects and provided input regarding authority issues and crosswalks between MARC21 and other metadata schemes
- Laid groundwork to strengthen the interaction between the Section and DLC by, for example, attending the ALCTS AACR2 and Metadata Regional Institute and coordinating a joint response to the ALCTS Continuing Education for Catalogers Survey
Assist with Library West building addition reclassification project
Participated in the Dewey Biography Reclassification Project by assigning Library of Congress call numbers and contributing to the project's pilot stacks work.
Implement workflow for handling Integrating Resources format
In November key staff met to determine a workflow process. The Contributed Cataloging Section catalogers assumed responsibility for cataloging updating Web sites and updating databases, while the Serials Cataloging Unit continued their practice of cataloging updating loose-leaf publications. In December a training session "Cataloging Integrating Resources" was held to introduce staff to Integrating Resources and announce workflow decisions. In April a follow-up training session "Integrating Resources Revisited" was held to provide a more in-depth presentation for the monograph catalogers.
Lead library in transitioning from OCLC Passport to OCLC Connexion
The OCLC Connexion Task Group submitted a progress report in August (see http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/rs/rsd/oclcconnextg.html). A decision was made to delay implementation until the release of the Windows Connexion client.
Manage migration from Classification Plus to Classification Web
In March a training session was held to introduce staff to Classification Web prior to the elimination of Classification Plus from Cataloger's Desktop. In early July, an advanced class was offered.
In addition, Section staff completed the Library of Congress Cataloger's Desktop online tutorial http://www.loc.gov/cds/desktop/wbt/default.htm.
Investigate and employ automated methods for bibliographic record creation
Improvements were made to the EDIS workflow to facilitate the mining of IFAS email updates by the EDIS Web crawler. Other inroads included consultations with the Digital Library Center on projects involving the automated harvesting of records to support local digitization activities and work with FCLA re. e-book and ETD record loads.
Implement measures to assess workflow efficiencies and user satisfaction
Implemented workflow changes, which will lead (or, in some cases, have already led) to substantial improvements in the efficiency of original cataloging processes and, subsequently, to increases in the quantity of records produced
- Upgraded two Sr. LTAs to Archivists
- Provided in-depth training for upgraded staff in Copy Cataloging Unit
- Improved rare book cataloging workflow
- Assumed responsibility for cataloging two types of Integrating Resources - updating Web sites and updating databases
- Mainstreamed LAC original cataloging material
Continued project to provide different levels of cataloging for selected local History Web sites and to assess resulting usage through hit count analyses.
Evaluate our participation in international cooperative programs
BIBCO Annual Report http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/rs/rsd/bibcoannual0203.html
NACO Annual Report http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/rs/rsd/nacoannual0203.html
SACO Annual Report
Fulfill grant responsibilities including Baldwin NEFLIN and NEH grants and LSTA Rare Books grant
The Baldwin NEFLIN grant, which involved one grant cataloger and a 5% staff assignment, ended October 2002. In total 4,752 member copy records were derived and locally revised to provide better access to 20th century titles in the Baldwin Library of Historical Children's Literature (see tickler "bldnneflin project"). 1,104 records, or 23%, were cataloged in FY03.
The Baldwin NEH grant, which involved two grant catalogers and a 10% staff assignment, ended October 2002. In total, 7,408 copy and original print records were processed (see tickler "bldnneh project"). 985 records, or 13%, were cataloged in FY03. In addition, hundreds of microfilm records were created in OCLC for the Baldwin NEH grant.
Phase II (October 2002-September 2003) of the LSTA Rare Books grant was funded. A total of 489 records were enhanced during Phase I and Phase II of the project (see tickler "lstarare"). The grant included one grant cataloger and a 5% staff assignment.
Assess possibility of increasing the use of K-level cataloging for selected categories of material
K-level (i.e., minimal level) records were used to catalog Latin American videos acquired by Professor Hernan Vera. Discussions continue about integrating more minimal level cataloging into the workflow.
Create and revise procedural documentation to assist with training and workflow needs
New documentation includes the following. In addition, many procedures and guidelines were revised.
Aleph related documentation:
- Aleph Test Data Load Review Report Form http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/rs/rsd/testdatarptform.html
- Aleph Exercises 1
- Aleph Keyboard Equivalents
- Guide for Data Load Reviews
- Aleph/NOTIS Leader and 008 Comparison Chart
- Aleph Data Load Review Checklist
- Monograph Cataloging Guidelines for the Institute of Black Culture (IBC)
- Integrating Resources: List of Links
- ETD (Electronic Theses and Dissertations) Cataloging
- Analytics for Large Microform Sets - Ordering and Loading into LUIS
- Original Minimal K-Level Cataloging Standards: Feature and Non-Feature Videos and DVDs
- Installing Cataloger's Desktop and Classification Plus
- Donald Abraham Collection
- LSTA Project: Bibliographic Enhancement of the Rare Book Collection
- Internet Resource Statistics
- CATME (OCLC's Cataloging MicroEnhancer)
- Art and Architecture Subject Headings and CLARR: Changes to LCSH
- Asian Materials Cataloging and Processing Guidelines
- Cataloging of Microforms: Training Guidelines
- Using Catalyst
Monitor and support FCLA efforts to load UF's records into RLIN
Worked with FCLA to complete the retrospective load of approximately 2,000,000 books and 250,000 non-books records to RLIN and establish an ongoing load schedule for new material.
Support library's balanced scorecard initiatives
Section staff led or participated in librarywide sessions related to the balanced scorecard.
Promoted 1 Archivist to Sr. Archivist (Jorge Gonzalez)
Hired 1 Archivist (Susan Constantineau)
Upgraded 2 Sr. LTAs to Archivists (Greg Allen, Stephen Chen)
See also unit FY03 Annual Reports:
Science Unit http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/rs/rsd/sciannrpt0203.html
Social Sciences Unit http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/rs/rsd/socsciannual0203.html
Special Collections/Architecture and Fine Arts/Humanities Unit http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/rs/rsd/scafahannrpt0203.html
Prepared by: Betsy Simpson
Last updated: October 9, 2003