- Catalyst continues to be used in merging updated series authorities
reported via the weekly LC changed authority report. Series global changes
as well as subject globals have been run when appropriate.
- Work continued on pre-migration editing. Some of the activities included
correcting the badoclc records, dealing with duplicated authorities, working
on and supervising diacritics/null value problems, deleting unneeded series/serial
records, and other miscellaneous identified problems.
- Gerald continues his responsibility for the LC authority records (except
series) and the New Headings list. His assignment remains 75% on authority
work. He worked on many of the art and architecture subject heading changes,
most of which required manual editing. Nancy continues some work on the
unclaimed series authorities identified in a retro-Autoclaim processing.
- NetLibrary records continued to be updated to adjust the 856 field.
- Jackie Heiland continued with a 15% assignment that includes working
with the New Headings report for the UD processing unit. She uses Catalyst
to merge name authority records for Documents. She also continues working
with correcting typos from the Ballard misspellings list. This list had
been worked on in the early 1990s. Generally typos that are found in current
heading work tend to be in uncontrolled fields such as imprints, contents,
- Nancy continued to work with Dot Hope to identify migration issues/problems
and to consult with FCLA on the best way to tackle them.
- Paul Lowry continued his work on creating either series/serials bibliographic
records and/or series authorities for classed together series. He also
corrects headings as necessary.
- Statistics for the Unit's activity are subsumed in the Social Sciences
Unit of Contributed Cataloging.
- Everyone was involved in reviewing the first three Aleph subset loads
and the Full Production load. Problem reports were submitted or email
messages sent for authority problems. Nancy spent 12-13 hours a week in
April working at FCLA in reviewing/consulting on initial work with authorities.
Gerald has become the expert on diacritics and their migration/display
- Nancy worked 780 hours in her first year of phased retirement. In May
she began her second year at .5 FTE.
Prepared by: Nancy Lynne Williams
Last updated: August 2, 2003