Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

RS ALEPH Cataloging Trainers Group
Minutes
February 18, 2004


The group discussed progress with each class.

Cat A
Per Julia, searching information yet to be added includes contrasting browse and find searches and highlighting the differences between Search Module and Cataloging Module searching. Tatiana recommended using workflow examples, which might help illustrate the need to employ varying search strategies.

Cat B and C
Documentation for Cat B and C is well-developed. With the creation of a Hol A class, Tatiana and Gerald plan to deemphasize the holdings portion of Cat B and expect the class length to be reduced to 1.5 hours. They are reviewing their coverage of Item Processing Statuses, provisionals, and moving items.

Cat D
Cat D is essentially ready. Further revision depends on local customization decisions (e.g., HOL standardization).

Hol A
Naomi described each class [information below is taken from an e-mail Naomi sent post-meeting] and explained that Hol A will be offered as a pre-requisite for Cat B.

Holdings Class A: ­Introduction to MARC Holdings

Audience: All catalogers; All staff responsible for serials maintenance and binding, including Documents, HSCL, and Law. 75-100 students(?)

Prerequisite: Cataloging A
Time: 2-hour block, 90 minutes for class presentation.

This class will introduce the MARC Format for Holdings as applied in ALEPH. Description of its elements; instruction in building simple holdings statements for multivolume sets and serials; how to identify migrated holdings records that need revision or repair.

Holdings Class B: Advanced MARC Holdings

Audience: Serials Acquisitions, Serials Cataloging, selected staff responsible for periodical/serials maintenance and binding. 25-30 students
Prerequisite: Holdings Class A
Time: 2-hour block; 90 minutes for class presentation.

This class will provide practice in interpreting captions and patterns; creating and editing complex serials holdings; cleanup of old-format holding records, or records corrupted in input.

Binding class
Cathy plans to utilize information from Cat A-D and Hol A-B in the Binding class. For that reason, she is going to view the demos and documentation for those classes before finalizing it.

Tech Services Lite
Betsy reported that she and Charles are developing the monograph part of Tech Services Lite while Cecilia, Doug K., Michele, and Cathy are working on the acquisitions and serial part. Their next meeting is scheduled for March 2 at which time they hope to be able to walk through a demo. The class is demo only using PowerPoint rather than Aleph online.

Aleph 101
Betsy reported that Aleph 101 will be offered again, but will only be mandatory for new staff who did not take it last spring. Documentation for Aleph 101 is expected to be posted online soon. There was strong consensus within the group that Technical Services staff be required to take the class again in that it lays the groundwork for the functional classes. Betsy said she would convey the sentiment of the group to the LMS Steering Committee.

Demos
The group decided to move forward quickly with demos of Cat A-D and Hol A. Cathy recommended that volunteer trainees be asked to participate and give feedback. Betsy offered to schedule the meetings. [Post-meeting demos in MSL 308 were scheduled as follows with Fern Carlson, Judy Rummel, and Nelda Schwartz as volunteer trainees for Cat A-D and Hol A and Bobby Parker as volunteer trainee for Hol A.]

Wednesday, February 25
9:30-12:00
Cat A

Thursday, February 26
9:30-12:00
Hol A

Monday, March 1
1:00-3:30
Cat B

Wednesday, March 3
9:30-12:00
Cat C

Thursday, March 4
9:30-12:00
Cat D

The group then received task group updates.

HOL defaults
Betsy reported that it is possible to have only one HOL Leader and 008 default and that a collective decision was made to use defaults appropriate to the monographic workflow. Daniel sent an e-mail 2/13/04 reporting that he had set up the defaults in UF Prod.

HOL standardization
Julia, Gerald, Priscilla, Jimmie, Jackie, Naomi, Cecilia, and Betsy met February 11 to discuss a standard approach to inputting HOL data other than the Leader and 008. Jean was invited, but could not attend. Jackie and Naomi agreed to review the MARC21 documentation and recommend a local coding practice. [On 2/19/04 the group met again to discuss Jackie and Naomi's proposal. As a result of the discussion, Naomi offered to revise the document; Jackie to investigate options for 853 indicators; and Betsy to check on the possibility of inputting multiple 852s on one HOL.] When ready, the document will be forwarded to the RS Migration Group for review.

Validation
Gerald reported that he, Jorge, and Beatriz were making progress with reviewing the tables related to Aleph's validation, or Check Record, function. They expect to share their recommendation for table set-up soon. [Attached is the 2/25/04 e-mail outlining the proposed set-up.]

Link to email message

Macro Express
Julia announced that she is coordinating a group including Jorge, Greg, Doug, and Jason to develop macros using the Macro Express software. Betsy asked Julia whether she expects to have macros ready in time for incorporation into the training curriculum. Julia explained that some acquisitions related macros have already been created, which will be used during training, but it's hard to say how quickly other macros will be created. The group expressed a strong desire to focus on non-macro aided inputting during the cataloging training.

The next meeting, scheduled for Wednesday, March 3, will be devoted to the Cat C demo. Therefore, the next regular meeting for the group will be Wednesday, March 17, 9:30-11:00am, MSL 308.


Prepared by: Betsy Simpson
Last updated: March 2, 2004


 

University of Florida Home Page