Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

CatMet Management Group Minutes
January 9, 2008

 

Attendees:  Peter Bushnell, Jane Anne Carey, Michael Jay, Jimmie Lundgren, Hikaru Nakano, Nancy Poehlmann, Betsy Simpson, Doug Smith, Priscilla Williams, Naomi Young

   

Stats Demo

Doug demoed two macros that sort data for cataloging statistics.  He will write a procedure for sharing with CMG.

 

Aleph Indexing

Priscilla reported that the SUL is still waiting for FCLA to populate the development client with the updated indexing structure before the review can begin.

 

Reclass Count for Statistics Report

CMG decided to keep reclass counts by title and volume.

 

AFA Reclass

Nancy, Betsy, and Priscilla attended a meeting re. the AFA reclass project.  The bulk of the work will be done in the summer.  The next step is for AFA to arrange to have volumes moved to storage and the holdings locations revised.  When this is done, an Aleph report can be run to extract the remaining Dewey titles awaiting reclass.  The goal is to automate the assignment of LC call numbers as much as possible.  

 

DLU01

Betsy mentioned that she installed DLU01 in case others are interested in doing the same in order to view the PALMM records.

 

LC Working Group on the Future of Bibliographic Control

Betsy suggested that she, Priscilla, Jimmie, Naomi, and Nancy discuss the final report of the LC Working Group on the Future of Bibliographic Control at a Journal Club meeting.  The group agreed and will make plans following the ALA Midwinter Meeting.

 

PCC Series Discussion Paper

Naomi will share any comments we may have re. the PCC Series Discussion Paper at the CONSER Operations Committee meeting scheduled for May.

 

DLC update

No word yet from DLC re. the status of mapping the METS metadata to MARC for ingest into Endeca.  Betsy will check again. 

The METS template has been revamped, but still needs work.  Priscilla attended a meeting where Mark Sullivan did a demo. 

 

Donor Guideline Revision

Betsy confirmed that the latest revisions of the Donor Guideline are acceptable.  

 

Catalog Department Meeting

Judy Russell will meet with the department on 1/29/08.  CMG members decided to ask staff to submit questions, anonymously if desired.

 

RLG Survey

Erich Kesse and Betsy will collaborate on a Journal Club meeting to discuss the RLG Programs Descriptive Metadata Practices Survey Results

Macro Express

Doug requested that a back-up be available for Macro Express suites when the server is down.  Jason indicated this would be possible. 

 

Betsy and Jason are working on clean-up task on wiki.  Betsy asked to add links to print records for digital collections so you don’t lose track.  This makes projects for cleaning easier. Betsy will prioritize projects.

 

TS Initiatives

The 2007-2008 Technical Services Division Strategic Initiatives were drafted by the Technical Services Management Group (TSMG) and will be reviewed by the Technical Services Alliance at its January 22 meeting.

One of the initiatives is to "design and implement new Web pages for the division and departments."  Working with Tom Minton, TSMG created a basic template to apply across the division.  Betsy has spoken with Greg about applying the template to the department Web pages and will send the url for a mocked-up version using AcqLic information. 

 

Disabilities Committee

Naomi attended the University People with Disabilities Committee meeting and reported that the ADA renovations in AFA will include elevator and other Unisex restrooms.  ADA will give presentations to departments at their requests.

 

Endeca Discussion Group

The group is looking at the use of icons with the record display.

 

Brittle Books Task Force

Nancy announced that the task force sorted and set up review shelves for the brittle books backlog (~ 3000 volumes).  Selectors are supposed to review the books by February 1.

 

Faculty Recruitment Committee

Priscilla reported that the committee will meet every other Tuesday.  The committee welcomes input via a survey and meetings.

 

Communications Committee

Hikaru reported that a student’s computer was stolen.  Bill suggested that personal belongings not be left unattended.

  

MSL meeting

A report was developed for the College of Engineering about library enhancement.  

  

 

University of Florida Home Page