January 24, 2011
Attendees: Peter Bushnell, Jane Anne Carey, Jimmie Lundgren, Hikaru Nakano, Betsy Simpson, Doug Smith, Priscilla Williams, Naomi Young
1/31/11 department meeting
CMG brainstormed topics for the 1/31/11 department meeting: budget, storage facility, department move, RDA, staff competencies.
Library Assistant 3 position
A Library Assistant 3 position in Copy Cataloging was posted with an application deadline of January 28.
Internet Archive links on print records
Jane Anne explained that IA links and a tickler will be added to records for government documents and storage duplicates sent to IA for digitizing. A workflow will need to be devised in order to create provider-neutral records. To avoid a delay in having the links display for users, this was deemed the best solution given the large number of records involved.
- Women in Development: waiting for the last few items to be received from Gifts
- Hildebrand: a couple of boxes were cataloged as part of new staff training; the remaining boxes will be searched when time allows
- Stumpy Harris: considered high priority; Copy Cataloging will begin to search and catalog
- Panama Canal Museum: items received to date have been cataloged
- Coffey miniature books: Jane Anne will develop cataloging procedure and distribute
- Congressional hearings: Betsy is working with Jan Swanbeck on details; to date, no word on funding
- Thorbjarnarson: being cataloged
- Single bib: moved to Phase II; Acquisitions reps are scheduled to meet with the pilot working group on 2/25/11
- ECIP: still on hold; waiting for go-ahead from Library of Congress
- UFDC Mango feed: meeting with DLC scheduled for 1/26/11
- Local Holdings: Naomi is reviewing OCLC error reports from recent update load; long-range goal is to have monthly updates
- Directory of Online Access Journals (DOAJ): local serials group is cataloging assigned titles
Institution notes on records
CMG discussed a question Hank raised about deleting fields with $5 on member copy. There was agreement that the fields should be deleted.
Room 300 security
Brad Hatch installed a doorbell for the glass double doors to LE 300. As time permits, he will return to work on making the bell loud enough to be heard throughout the floor.