June 3, 2009
Attendees: Peter Bushnell, Jane Anne Carey, Jimmie Lundgren, Hikaru Nakano, Nancy Poehlmann, Betsy Simpson, Doug Smith, Priscilla Williams
Planning for July 1 organizational change
CMG discussed various aspects of the July 1 organizational change when HumCat and SciSocCat will be merged to form the Contributed Cataloging Unit:
- Distribution: material will not be presorted by former unit divisions
- Statistics: stats macro and RS Stats database will need revision
- Authorities: personal name submissions will be submitted independently; no review will be required; to be discussed at the July department meeting
- Liaisons: Science, Africana (Jimmie), Departmental Libraries, LAC (Peter), Special Collections (Jane Anne), Asian Studies (Hikaru), Judaica (Doug), Humanities and Social Sciences (tbd)
- E-mail list: Jimmie will submit grover request to set up list for new unit
Records for a subset of UFDC should be in Mango soon. [Subsequent to the meeting, word was received that the records are available in Mango.]
CMG continued its review of a spreadsheet listing current digital projects to determine the cataloging status and contact persons.
Documents Cataloging Project
CMG discussed the pilot report, which was submitted to Dean Russell, John Ingram, and Rachel Schipper on June 1.
Cataloging question re. EU annuals
In response to a question from Doug, prior to the meeting, Naomi gave input that it is preferable to treat the annuals as serials if possible. The goal is to improve the display and cataloging workflow.
Sharing tips with library
CMG discussed methods for notifying the library about catalog-related tips, for example, the recently developed Mango-Aleph Comparison Chart, and decided to investigate using a LibGuide.
- The library's convocation is scheduled for Thursday, August 13.
- The department's OPS fy10 allocation is $15,893. To finish out the fy09 allocation, Doug's been busy hiring and progress will be made on a number of projects as a result. He estimates student hours through June 30 will number 160-180 hours.
- Dean Russell will attend the August 19 CMG meeting, which will be held in LE conference room.
- The browse and keyword pull-down menus in the client were changed when the indexes were regenerated. Betsy will check with staff to see if any reordering would be helpful.
- Jami Beserock and Ryan Litsey, both from Course Reserves, requested cataloging training. Ryan plans to work five hours per week in CatMet this summer. Jami has not determined her availability yet.