Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

CatMet Management Group Minutes

September 3, 2008

 

Attendees:  Peter Bushnell, Jane Anne Carey, Jorge Gonzalez, Jimmie Lundgren, Hikaru Nakano, Nancy Poehlmann, Betsy Simpson, Doug Smith, Priscilla Williams

DLC workflow

Jimmie, Jorge, and Betsy met to strategize about workflow in light of Mark's progress mapping UFDC metadata to MARC records.  Jorge will look at the records, and Betsy will talk to Mark about loading UFDC provisional item records in DLU01.  Jimmie and Jason will work on adding links to Aleph print version records.  Although initially the plan was to add the links to the holdings for the print version records, it was decided to put them on the bib so they display in other SUL institutional catalogs.

Mark is trying to figure out mapping subfields and notes.  He will meet with Betsy on Thursday, September 4, at 1:00pm and CMG members were invited to join them.

Mellon grant

There was a short turn around time for proposal.  Judy asked Nancy to do a request for a Mellon Grant proposal to catalog hidden collections.  The library's new grants coordinator met with Nancy and she rewrote the proposal.  There are 14,000 records that have shelf location and no date (these usually have provisional records with title and author in Aleph).  Plans are to hire graduate students for this grant.  There will be a project manager who is a professional to supervise and train the students.  Nancy will over-see the financial part of this grant.  $376,000 was requested and the grant would start Feb. 1, 2009 – Feb. 1, 2012 if funded.

Donor guide

Betsy, Jason, and Steve are working out the procedures for virtual bookplates with Sam Huang and Alicia Antone.

Interdepartmental service

Betsy will talk to Michele about whether there is a need to decrease the hours that staff contribute to interdepartmental service and committees.

Catalog storage facility

A draft set of recommendations has been distributed by the SUL Storage Facility Task Force.  CMG will discuss this more at the next meeting with Ben Walker, the Task Force chair.  The Documents librarians formed a task group (Judy, Jimmie, & Jan) to look at cataloging documents . 

Stats group

A new group has been formed to look at migrating the RS stats database to a new interface.  CMG will need to consider what changes should be made in preparation for this migration.  Betsy will keep the group updated. 

Department meeting

Betsy asked for suggestions for topics for the October department meeting. 

Reference area

Shelving and material will be moved from the 3rd floor reference area and placed in other areas of the department.  The purpose is to free up space in the middle of the room for parties and other gatherings and to make the area cleaner looking by moving the book trucks with withdrawn items.

Endeca

The Endeca Communications Group has been working on providing links to FCLA so they can configure Endeca to allow students to click on locations and see a map of the location.

Donation

Hikaru said that there may be a possible donation of 700 Japanese books.

OPS

Doug may have extra money for students that other units could use.  Jimmie said that they may be able to use students to draft digital records.  

Faculty Recruitment

There is no word on the final report being approved yet. 

Collective Bargaining agreement

Betsy reported recent changes resulting from the collective bargaining agreement.  For instance, annual activity reports will be due by March 15, 2009 instead of mid-April; it appears that sustained performance evaluations will not be vetted by a committee unless there is evidence of unsatisfactory ratings; and 80% of budgeted expenses for travel more than 5 days must be advanced.  It is expected that library HR will notify faculty about any new procedures. 

 

 

University of Florida Home Page