September 7, 2011
Attendees: Peter Bushnell, Jane Anne Carey, Jimmie Lundgren, Hikaru Nakano, Betsy Simpson, Doug Smith, Priscilla Williams
Staffing at ALF
The amount of cataloging and maintenance (e.g., unlinked item records, lack of barcodes) needed for items being trayed at ALF has increased due to new Tray Team hires. CMG discussed potential staffing changes to cover the work that needs to be done.
E-version links are being added to print records for government documents digitized by Internet Archive and for items processed by the ALF Dedup Team. A tickler identifies these titles for cataloging using the provider-neutral monograph record standard. Jane Anne will work with a cataloger assigned to develop a workflow.
Christine Fruin, Scholarly Communications Librarian, is open to talking with Acquisitions and Cataloging about copyright. CMG drafted a list of questions and will solicit input more broadly.
Funds for special requests
Doug is planning to submit a request for a new cabinet to hold dvd cases and for small booktrucks catalogers can use at their desks. Betsy will submit a request for new breakroom furniture and will check about requesting a vacuum cleaner. Other ideas are welcome and may be submitted directly to Rachel.
- Summon: Jimmie is participating in the implementation task group and asked for CMG input
- Hearings: 2,000+ congressional hearings titles located in the branches have been identified; Betsy submitted a grover for IT to add barcode information
- ECIP: changes in the technical requirements may make this viable; Jane Anne will pursue
- Marcive: plans are underway to load the e-resource records centrally and share authority and link maintenance
- NACO project: Priscilla is working with John Nemmers to create/revise authority records for Archives/Manuscripts
- Women in Development: material in alcove is cataloged; more may come from Gifts
- Hildebrand: Doug will initiate searching of the collection, which is located in the alcove
- Endowment bookplates: FCLA is tweaking related Aleph services; should be able to add the virtual bookplates to endowments soon
- UFDC: Jorge and Beatriz are finishing the cataloging for the Historic News Accounts; Betsy and Laurie sent an e-mail to the Selectors list about reviewing a test feed of UFDC collections not currently in Mango