Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

CatMet Management Group Minutes

October 1, 2008

 

Attendees:  Peter Bushnell, Jane Anne Carey, Jimmie Lundgren, Hikaru Nakano, Nancy Poehlmann, Betsy Simpson, Doug Smith, Priscilla Williams

Item records

Jimmie talked to Paul about a short barcode he encountered with only 31262.  Jimmie will do a follow up and communicate by email.   

Aleph Version 19

Is it a good idea to update?  Should/could we wait?  FCLA's site at http://wiki.fcla.edu:8000/FCLA-LMS/61   has information and includes a link to the Ex Libris v. 19 Feature List.  CMG is not persuaded that the v.19 cataloging enhancements are critical, although Naomi pointed out that it is sometimes difficult to assess based on Ex Libris' brief descriptions.  She asked if it is possible for FCLA to provide a client to test upgrade features.  Acquisitions feels that it's worth it to upgrade.  Betsy will share the information with the SUL Tech Services Planning Committee.

UFDC update

Mark has done most of the preparation for improved MARC mapping and will be ready for us to review soon. 

Jason loaded links to print version records but the list included links that were not up yet so the links for those were broken links.  Mark gave Jason a new list of records with links that work.  This will enable Jason to remove the broken links.  

Revised procedures

Nancy requested feedback on the following revised procedures:

6XX Fields in Shared Cataloging Copy http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/alephpro/catmet/6xx.html

Rare Book Cataloging Procedure http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/alephpro/catmet/rarebook.html

Parallel Records http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/alephpro/catmet/foreigncat.htm

Agriculture materials

Jimmie said there is the possibility of hiring a part-time OPS worker to catalog UFDC agriculture materials if funding is available. 

Stats corrections

Betsy asked managers to make corrections to the All Units page of the stats spreadsheet. 

Donor opportunities

CMG will seek ways to collaborate with collection managers and curators on potential donor opportunities and the need for funding targets that includes cataloging support.

Reindexing

FCLA is running behind on their reindexing schedule.

Reclass activities

Priscilla and Jason are working with AFA on clean-up related to the AFA reclass.      

Lost items

The CM support unit was working on sorting the original lost items list in call number order to distribute to selectors.  Unfortunately, we don't know if the old CM unit is still working on the list.  Paul will meet with Barbara Gunderson about this.

Associate Dean for Technology and Support Services

To date, plans are to interview two candidates for this position.  One will be interviewed on November 17th and 18th, and the other on November 20th and 21st.  The position is open until filled.

Travel Committee

Travel allocations will be out soon. 

Sabbatical Committee

Guidelines are currently in draft form.

Endeca Communications Group

UFDC box got added to the Endeca results.  The map-it location has been tested.

Promotion Committee

Jimmie met for the last time as chair but she is still a member of the committee. 

Tenure Homes Group

Jimmie will serve as a member of this group.

Library 2.0

Jason has added being able to search lib guides through the library tool bar.

Ask A Librarian staff

Naomi said that staff is training on a new software. It is the same one used by statewide ask a service that the community colleges and the public libraries use.  They also use software like this at the mail-order catalog centers and it has the ability to send URLs to the patron and do co-browsing (that is the librarian can "take over" the user's computer to show them something or enter text).

 

University of Florida Home Page