Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

TS Aleph Implementation Group Minutes
May 12, 2005

TKR standard group

Suzy reported that the group has been communicating via LiBBS.  They are at the point of testing the use of the HOL to record cataloging statistics.  Julia pointed out that PromptCat records will not be individually cataloged and therefore won't include a cataloger-input HOL TKR.  The TKR group will consider alternative ways of documenting statistics for these resources.

The group discussed the benefits of having the TKR group create a clearinghouse of TKRs that can be consulted and to which new TKRs can be added.

Object codes

Michele announced that the EBSCO EDI invoice has been loaded.  Unfortunately, object codes do not load with the invoice because the vendor does not have this information.  There is no way to store object codes in the order record. 

Object codes are expenditure class codes that identify the type of material ordered.  They are used to compile the annual ARL statistics.  When asked how object codes relate to the order record material type, Michele and Cecilia explained that the object codes are broken down into 99 different types of material whereas the order record material type is limited to a much smaller set of options.

Permissions

Rich said he has been working with Jean to configure access to other SUL.

Suzy mentioned that the report server work has slowed down her progress with setting up permissions.  She and Cathy have been working on Preservation staff permissions.  Cathy recently met with Jack Waters and Kerstin Rao to review the financial information Preservation needs to access. 

Betsy has sent draft cataloging permissions to Suzy.  Betsy pointed out a recent permissions problem, which underscored that permissions setup often involves configuration in different areas.  For instance, in order for a cataloger to view the order log, the cataloging permissions have to allow access and the cataloger has to be setup in the order unit.  Rich is going to add all the catalogers to the order unit.

Cecilia announced that Bill Kuntz, who is leaving HSCL, set up the permanent permissions, but there are problems that need to be addressed.

Martha urged that permissions be a focus of our efforts this summer.  

NAAUG

Betsy solicited input re. questions and problems to be pursued at the upcoming NAAUG meeting.  Julia, Martha, and Betsy will be attending along with Doug Kiker and Jason Fleming.  The group raised the following concerns:

  • Object codes: Are other institutions getting the object code info from vendors?  (FCLA has been contacted.)  
  • Encumbrance: Current setup loads the order and encumbrance.  UF wants the bib, order, and financial info but not the encumbrance.  In spite of limiting the encumbrance to no more than 10% over budget, Aleph encumbered over that percentage.  The orders are loaded as SV (Sent to Vendor) but Christine Poulen at MIT suggests loading the orders as New to avoid loading the encumbrance.  Maybe we can change our workflow so it works like MIT's and then use a macro to convert New to SV?  (Daniel Cromwell has posted a question on the ALEPH-NA list.) 
  • ARL statistics: How *do* institutions cull this information from their systems?
  • Rate of dataloading: the slowness of indexing impacts our record batchloads; do other institutions have the same problem?
  • Permissions: convoluted process; difficult to implement

Link checking

Julia shared the good news that she found a link-checking software called InfoWorks that looks promising.  It can output text files or MARC formatted files, and it is possible to specify which fields to include.  Julia downloaded a demo version to test and has contacted the vendor with a few questions.

LTQF

Betsy contacted FCLA on April 27 to ask about making the LTQF migration a higher priority.  Mary Ann is in the throes of SUL STPs, but expected to be able to run a test load again soon and then turnover the loading to us.  Jimmie suggested that UF load LTQF into Aleph initially, then refresh only with updated data from the other SUL rather than including UF updates in subsequent loads.

TS/PS forums

Martha suggested TS/PS forums occur quarterly in place of the TS Aleph Implementation Group meeting to discuss Aleph-related issues.  Broader topics could be addressed through librarywide meetings.  Rich put forward an idea to have a reconstituted LMS Steering Committee serve as a clearinghouse - identifying issues, fostering cross-divisional discussion, and delegating work to appropriate groups to resolve.  Martha pointed out that there are a number of existing groups with cross-divisional responsibilities (e.g., Continuing Resources Committee, A Team). 

The group discussed possible attendees and types of forums (e.g., informational, problem-oriented, training).  Jan commented that sharing divisional/departmental priorities is important to which Martha replied that the library goals agreed to by Library Council should be available soon.   

Martha will talk to Carol Turner about getting together the PS Chairs, CM Chair, Michele, and Betsy to discuss the ideas presented.  Health and Law will be kept in the loop.

Rich announced he will be offering Web OPAC sessions for all library staff to review the latest Web OPAC changes.  He envisions that the sessions will be the springboard to forming a small local group charged with recommending additional Web OPAC changes.

Party

The group adjourned to the Swamp to celebrate having survived the first year of Aleph!

The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, June 9, 10:00-11:30am, Library East Conference Room.

 

University of Florida Home Page