Skip to Search

diagonal spacer


RS Preliminary LMS Migration Planning Group Minutes

  October 26, 2001 


The meeting consisted of a review of the status of current tasks as defined at the 9/26/01 meeting.


          Unlinked item records

Lawan is in the process of reviewing the 40,469 unlinked item records in the UF processing unit.  Her goal is to categorize the data so that it can be presented to Access Services staff in a manner which will facilitate their deciding which unlinked item records can safely be deleted, and thus not migrated to our new system.  She has divided the unlinked item records into two groups - periodicals and non-periodicals - then further refined her analysis based on this breakdown.  Those unlinked item records that are periodicals include single issue periodicals as well as bound periodicals.  Many unlinked item records for single issue periodicals seem to have been created for short-term check-out, and could be potential deletes.  The bound periodicals are not necessarily barcoded, although it was noted that most locations have barcoded their bound periodicals. Both the periodical and non-periodical categories include reserve material and material which is not barcoded.  Within the non-periodical unlinked item record group, Lawan has identified unlinked item records for material that is available electronically, but not on reserve and not barcoded.  In addition, Lawan has discovered that the call number field on unlinked item records is often used to record the title of the publication.  Lawan is continuing her investigation and plans to have a draft report completed by 10/29, which she'll share with Betsy first, in preparation for sharing with Martha and Carol T., then scheduling visits with branch locations to discuss unlinked item records.


Jean reported that Susy Potter is reviewing the Law Library's unlinked item records and will delete a number of them.  However, many of them are for government documents and will remain.


Cecilia said she reviewed the Health Science Center Library's unlinked item records and found that most of them are for items on reserve and won't be deleted.


A question was raised about whether or not ExLibris provides a good way to "check-out" study rooms, lockers, etc. without having to resort to creating unlinked item records, which is currently the case.



Jean asked to revisit the discussion about withdrawals from our last meeting.  The 9/26/02 meeting minutes state, '... the Planning Group recommends not migrating item records marked "w" or "d" and volume holdings marked "d" on suppressed records.'  Per her discussions with staff at the Law Library, Jean pointed out that there is information on item records marked "w" that may be useful (e.g., information associated with patron records, information re. lost/missing status of item).  [In an e-mail discussion post meeting, Jean asked whether or not there will be a history file to refer to data not migrated.  Our conclusion is that, at this point, it is premature to make firm decisions and that other areas in the library and state need to be involved in the analysis.]


          Acquisitions records

Michele reported that she has met with all Acquisitions and Serials Section staff about identifying test records.  Staff will send potential test records to her for tagging.  Suzanne and Michele have reviewed a lot of potential test conditions and will begin tagging records soon.  They plan to create test dummy records to cover situations where records change before testing begins.  Michele will talk to Jack Waters about creating test fundcode records and to Trish Vice about identifying direct vendors for the purpose of assigning them fundcodes.  They will not migrate vendor records that have been tagged "d" for delete.  Michele will talk to Donna Alsbury at FCLA to see if we can get a report listing direct vendors.  Michele still plans to create and share standardized terminology for the 035 for test order records.


Michele said Acquisitions does not want to migrate pre-1996 payment records.  She will investigate the statutory requirements regarding the retention of payment data to make sure the library complies with state regulations.



Prompted by a question from Lawan about tagged records being fixed or changed before we have a chance to test them, Planning Group members decided to notify their respective staff about not fixing any errors earmarked in the 035 test tags.


          Authority records

Nancy is focussing on tagging series authority records as opposed to name and subject authority records.  She said it is likely that when we migrate to a new system, series authorities will reside in individual institution databases and name and subject authorities will reside in a central resource file.   


Nancy has requested that staff put printouts in her mailbox of authority records that are good candidates for testing.  


Nancy and Gerald are working closely with two students hired to help with migration related activity - Ritesh Chaube and Andrea Chavez Michaelsen.  They have been cleaning up diacritic problems in the database and also comprehensively reviewing and tagging records with diacritics by language.


          Monograph Cataloging

Betsy and Jimmie met with the Contributed Cataloging Section to describe the test file and request their help with tagging records.  Betsy and Dot have followed up the meeting with e-mails giving further guidance about what types of records to tag.  Betsy and Jimmie plan to meet with Copy Cataloging Unit staff at their next regularly scheduled meeting on 10/30.


          Multiple 035s

Betsy reported that Lydia Motyka at FCLA said that we should not add more than 2-3 035 test tags per record.



Betsy e-mailed Lydia asking if there is a way for FCLA to automatically generate a spreadsheet based on our test record file to enable us to record information when reviewing the records after the test load.  Lydia suggested that we might rely on printouts of each test record, but the Planning Group members did not think this would serve our purpose.  Lydia also asked if it would be helpful to have FCLA load the test records to both ExLibris and the test region assuming this can be done.  Betsy will notify Lydia that the Planning Group likes this idea in addition to pursuing the possibility of automatically generating a spreadsheet.


          Cancelled orders

Nancy, Michele, and Suzanne described their decision to delete records with pre-1996 cancelled orders for materials we have never received.


          Test record file

When Betsy asked Lydia if it's necessary to choose 2-3 bib records to test the migration of each tag, Lydia responded, '... my suggestion would be to identify at least 2-3 records for each MARC tag, and to aim for complex and "problem" records for your sample.'


Naomi mentioned that some serial records purposely do not have OCLC numbers, and it was suggested that it would be good to include a sample of these records in the test file.


Dot distributed printouts of the test file index in LUIS, both the TN3270 version and the Catalyst version.  She mentioned the

importance of standardizing the way we record test conditions in the 035.




          Provide report re. unlinked item records (Lawan)

          Hold meetings with branch locations re. unlinked item records (Lawan, Betsy)

          Tag test records (All)

          Meet with FCLA to discuss diacritic issues and the bad OCLC number project (Nancy, Dot)

          Create test dummy records where necessary (All)

          Work with staff to identify direct vendors and create fundcode records for them (Michele, Suzanne)

          Create and share standardized terminology for the 035 for test order records (Michele, Suzanne)

          Investigate statutory requirements for retention of payment data (Michele)

          Remind staff not to correct conditions tagged for testing (All)

          Contact Lydia re. the spreadsheet (Betsy)



Prepared by: Betsy Simpson October 26, 2001



University of Florida Home Page