Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

TS Aleph Implementation Group Meeting
August 9, 2007

 

Aleph upgrade (status, issues)

  1. Rich reported on some problems encountered after upgrade to Aleph Version 18.  These problems have been reported to FCLA and they are being worked on.  
    • Users have not been able to use the FCLA website, http://www.fcla.edu using Aleph username and password. Users can use their NOTIS username/password combination if they have them. 
    • Miscellaneous problems to see how Z39.50 server is communicating with bibliographic management programs such as Endnote or RefWorks.
  2. Jimmie reported that she and her staff are not able to open an Acquisition Record using the icon from the top toolbar in the Cataloging module and added that the system doesn’t display an error message at all. Nancy has encountered this problem, too. Rich replied that in Aleph 15.5 permissions were set up to work in UFU50 Library, whereas in Aleph 18 they must be set up to work in UFU01 Library. Rich will work on these permissions which will be set up for groups of people and not individually.  
  3. Talking about levels of permissions in Aleph 18, Steve and Michele added that collection managers need to have permissions that would allow them to view but not modify orders. For permission related problems contact:

    Rich is the FCLA liaison for Circulation.

    Jason is the liaison for Acquisitions.

    Betsy is the liaison for Cataloging.    

  4. Naomi reported that Item and HOL re-linking in PROD is not working the same way as it did in TEST. Rich stated that this problem needs to be reported to FCLA. 
  5. Cathy and Naomi mentioned that for records that use $$a, $$i, and $$j in the HOL reocrd, 863 field doesn’t display right in Aleph OPAC. Rich reported that FCLA is working on this problem and he will contact Lisa Tatum, the FCLA Library representative for Aleph OPAC to find out what the latest is on this issue. Rich added that the good news is that 863s display right in Endeca.  
  6. Matthew reported that generally the upgrade went smoothly for the Circulation dept. Some branches have reported printing problems. Report problems with printing to Matthew even if they occur in modules other than the Circulation module.

 

Concluding the Aleph problems topic, Rich noted that everyone who is not able to perform a task in Aleph should try to capture error messages they get. This helps a lot when reporting problems. And yes, give examples of cases when one gets no error messages at all.

 

Endeca progress

Rich reported to the group the latest development in Endeca.

  1. Endeca is scheduled to go live August 20th but it may happen earlier.
  2. Patron empowerment ability is working in testing that Matthew is doing; however, more testing is needed to assure 100% confidence.
  3. Endeca is intended to be our primary OPAC but Aleph OPAC will still be used for searching.  Both Endeca and Aleph OPAC will be active and there will be links in both catalogs linking these catalogs to each other.
  4. Based on FCLA news, updates to Endeca are now occurring twice a week. It is the final goal to have these updates occurring nightly. Aleph OPAC is the only place right now to check the latest records added in the catalog, including new records and new copies.
  5. Problem: there are about 500 links in the catalog that need to be changed when switching from Aleph OPAC to Endeca. Rich has created a PURL, a Persistent Uniform Resource Locator, for the catalog. It is easier to make changes in PURL than it is to change them individually. This PURL, http://purl.fcla.edu/uf/lib/catalog currently points to Aleph OPAC, but it will point to Endeca after the switch.
    • Michele will check with LeiLani to find out if it’s OK to use PURL.
  6. It is not clear how the Browser function in the Cataloging module will work in Endeca.
  7. Endeca has the capability to keep title changes together. Naomi added that this is a great feature in Endeca because it is important to have serials that have gone through title changes display in a group.
  8. Endeca problems lists have been created and problems are being reported using RT, a trouble ticket system. Rich can add more UF users to the Endeca list and everyone can report problems there. In order to keep LeiLani’s group in the loop, when sending e-mails to the RT, include Leilani as the secondary on the primary recipient (not on the cc). Rich, LeiLani, Matthew, and Jason are the Endeca coordinators.
  9. Public Services would like to start teaching Endeca starting in fall.

 

LTQF – DLU01 (update re. CAGER discussions)

Naomi reported that FCLA wants to include PALMM and DigiTool. First load of records into DLU01 is already done. More needs to be done, though, to see how the PALMM collection will fit into the catalog. When everything is done, there will be two clients for technical side of the catalog -  PALMM and OPAC and only one for the public OPAC.

   

Authorities (indexing, decisions)

Priscilla reported that the Technical Services Planning Committee (TSPC) of the State University Libraries (SUL) assigned the task of headings indexing review in v.18, both in the authorities and bibliographic libraries, to the SUL Authorities Subcommittee.  We were provided spreadsheets containing the indexes in use in 15.5 and proposed indexes for v.18.  This helped the SUL to come to a consensus on what the indexing should be in v.18.  We’re looking at not having as many headings indexes so that indexing is faster than it is now in Aleph. 

 

Indexing review for the authorities libraries is complete.  We’re currently working on the bib indexes.  This work needs to be in place before the first library’s bibs are reindexed.  FCLA is working on allowing us to do some searching in DEV18 to test the proposed indexing.

  

Other

Jan reminded the group of the one-day Celebration of our 100th year as a Federal Depository Library that will be held on August 17th, in Room 1A of Smathers Library. She gave a brief summary of the activities that will take place. A full agenda was e-mailed to all library staff on June 29th.

  

Recorder: Raimonda Margjoni

 

The next TS Aleph Implementation Group meeting is scheduled for Thursday, September 13, 10:00-11:30am, Library East Conference Room.

 

 

 

University of Florida Home Page