Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

RS Migration Group Minutes

March 11 , 2004

Subset 5
The Subset 5 data review began February 27. Eleven catalogers were assigned outstanding cataloging related problem reports to review by March 10. Three other catalogers reviewed problems considered to be resolved. Betsy explained that many of the reports deal with the Web OPAC (e.g., diacritic display). FCLA's deadline for UF reports is March 15.

A persistent problem involves the display of 856 data. 856 anchor text does not mask the URL. All of the 856 tag displays and appears as one long clickable link. Martha announced that the Links Monitoring and Maintenance Committee will address this issue and consider changes to current practice. In addition, the committee will review whether or not 856 data should be recorded in the bibliographic record, holdings record, or both.

Michele reported that the publication patterns loaded, but the predictive check-in feature is not working.

Full Load
Rich explained that he has not received any recent updates about the progress of loading the full database in the Reports region. Lydia did say that based on FCLA's experience with this full load, it is possible the final load may require that the process for linking bibs to authorities (ue_08) may need to continue running in the background post-STP.

The final load will take place in the Reports region rather than in the Production region as originally planned. At STP the data will be copied to the Production region. As a result, the Production Client will be available through April. Rich commented that the functional training classes should use the Test Client because the Production Client may not be stable during this time.

Freeze
Rich reported that FCLA has moved the freeze date from April 1 to midnight on Monday, March 29. There was some confusion about whether "midnight" on March 29 means March 29 or March 30. Rich offered to check with FCLA. [Subsequently, the group learned that the freeze would begin March 29.]

A group including Jimmie, Priscilla, Tatiana, Julia, Doug, Steve F., and Betsy have been developing a freeze guide for staff outside Resource Services and instructions for cataloging during the freeze. [These documents are now available at http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/rs/catpro/LUIS-FreezeGuide.html and http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/rs/catpro/catfreezeprocedure.htm.]

Michele and Cathy are working with the Serials A Team to put in place procedures for doing serials check-in during the freeze.

Phek reported that a virtual approval plan is being developed with YBP. It will provide a system whereby selectors can review and select approvals online. As a result, the approval selections will be handled as firm orders and sent shelf-ready.

Permissions
Rich circulated the following handouts regarding permissions:

Current NOTIS userid types and suggested levels of access setup in Aleph (Excel file)

Access rights details: (Excel file)

Rich explained that the plan is to set up permissions based on functions (e.g., acquisitions, cataloging, binding, circulation) and to test the permissions pre-STP. [Post meeting, Rich announced that permissions may be set up by department or unit instead of function because of the numbers of staff working across functional areas. The goal is to eliminate mulitiple logons.]

When asked about read-only access to the GUI Client for all staff, Rich responded that he thinks this can be setup without requiring staff to use a separate logon.

Reports
The joblist reports (i.e., those reports to be run by FCLA on a routine basis) have been requested.

Martha noted the importance of reminding FCLA to create a new titles list.

Training
Acquisition and serials trainers are continuing to work on demos. Paying Unit classes will be given post-STP. Currently, staff are setting up vendors and dealing with issues related to the migration to PeopleSoft.

Cataloging trainers have completed their demos and are making final revisions to the classes.

Naomi summarized recent discussions about expanding the number of Holdings classes, which will now include:

HOL 101: Introduction to MARC Holdings
Introduction to MARC Format for Holdings as applied in Aleph; description of elements
and coding.

HOL 102: Introduction to Serials Holdings
Covers creating and editing summary holdings for periodicals and other types of serials;
creation of holdings for supplements and indexes; simple conversion of LUIS holdings to
MARC format; and how to report problem/complex holdings for correction.

HOL 103: Corrections of MARC 21 Holdings and Patterns
Provides practice in interpreting captions and patterns; creating and editing complex
serials holdings; cleanup of old-format holding records, or records corrupted in input.

"Tech Services Lite" has been changed to "Introduction to Functional Training". The trainers are creating a PowerPoint presentation highlighting key steps in the acquisitions, cataloging, circulation, and binding workflows.

Julia explained that she will be doing the final formatting of the cataloging and acquisitions training documentation and will send the documentation to Facilities to copy.

Julia created the following layout of the Aleph training classes, which presents the prerequisite information in an easy-to-understand format: http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/rs/RSTech/Classes_files/Classes_frames.htm.

Barcodes
Betsy announced that Aleph doesn't perform a check on barcode numbers the way NOTIS does. Staff can create any numeric or alphanumeric string as a barcode number in Aleph as long as it doesn't duplicate another barcode number in the system. That means staff cannot rely on Aleph to find keying errors when manually entering barcode numbers. The lack of this safeguard prompted RS managers to order barcode readers for all RS staff who input barcodes.

Macro Express
Julia reported that the Macro Express working group is compiling an inventory of NOTIS quick keys and macros in order to gauge Aleph macro needs.

GenLoad
Julia announced that alpha testing for GenLoad is beginning. This generic loader is intended for use with a variety of record loads, but Julia pointed out that it will not be a replacement for CORCE.

The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, April 8, 10:00-11:30, Library East Conference Room.

Tasks:
Complete Subset 5 data review (All)
Continue to test workflow (All)
Develop training curriculums (training groups)
Continue work with FCLA to customize client (All)
Review display of 856 data (Lawan, Jimmie, etc.)
Test permissions (Rich, etc.)
Test GenLoad (Julia)



Prepared by: Betsy Simpson, March 30, 2004

 

University of Florida Home Page