Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

TS Aleph Implementation Group Minutes
August 11, 2005

 

Announcements

Betsy announced that Julia Allen resigned and moved on to a new position in Tech Services at a public library in Saipan.  Michele reported that the position description has been revised and the search committee is being formed.  The Technical Support Librarian will continue to provide support for Aleph functions and play a key role on the TS Aleph Implementation Group.

Gerald reported that the Serials Solutions records are loaded into the catalog.

Betsy reported for Rich that FCLA plans to turn off Z39.50 access to the UF NOTIS OPAC.  Cathy was concerned this might affect staff access to LTUF, but Betsy said the telnet access staff use would not be affected [this was confirmed by Rich after the meeting].

Lawan announced that the 9,000 UF Aleph records with incorrect barcodes, resulting from duplicate barcodes in NOTIS, will be replaced soon.  Jean approved replacing the Law records and plans to send John Hein the needed Law authorizations for Aleph and NOTIS.  Lawan told Jan that the UD partition needs to be checked before the barcodes can be replaced.  Cecilia manually corrected the very few Health records with this problem.

New Title list

Suzy announced good progress with developing the New Title list.  The list will be configured in a similar fashion to the University of Tennessee's, which utilizes SQL programming.  Suzy has submitted a SysRequest, and initial reaction from Winston is encouraging.  The list will include Smathers, Health, and Law titles, but will allow for limiting by location.  When the programming is in place, Doug S. and Jimmie will create TKRs on selected bibs to test the process.  Suzy said she would send the group the url for the University of Tennessee list.

Cataloging Statistics

Per Betsy, shortly before Julia left she described a promising method for extracting cataloging statistics using Aleph's Trigger feature.  Betsy will try to contact Julia to revisit this idea. 

 

Macro Express

Betsy shared information from Rich stating that the SUL Macro Express license is in place, and he has received instructions for downloading and registering it.  Cecilia asked if this means UF should not renew its individual licenses.  Betsy offered to confirm. [Martha and Rich said that there is no need to renew individual licenses.  New requests should be submitted to SysRequest.]

Michele reported that Michael Jay is meeting with Acquisitions staff to provide instruction and support.  Cataloging has identified four "developers" - Greg Allen, Naomi, Doug S., and Betsy. 

Cecilia expressed interest in learning about Smathers' cataloging macros.  Betsy offered to compile a list of cataloging projects using ME.  The Macro Suite contains a variety of macros, including some to support cataloging work.

Jimmie stressed that Macro Express is one of a group of macro tools available.  Cataloging, in particular, should consider forming a group to investigate the Connexion macro utility as well as Aleph's Quick Key feature.  Naomi offered to contact a former colleague who has been involved with macro development at the University of North Carolina.

A concern was voiced that macros may override permission restrictions, although further discussion indicated the problem may exist with the Aleph loaders as opposed to specific macros.  A suggestion was made to have macros routinely set up to check OWN codes to safeguard against inadvertent changes.

The Macro Express Working Group will continue to be led by the Technical Support Librarian.  Jan recommended broadening the membership to include representation from other areas of the library, especially Access Services.  

 

TS/PS/CM joint meeting

With Jan's input, the group agreed to propose to PS and CM that the October meeting be used for a joint gathering.  The topic(s) is yet to be determined, however item sorting and the In-Process Request problems were deemed to be likely top priorities.  Betsy offered to resend the group the initial list of issues vetted at the June 30 TS/PS/CM meeting with department chairs and asked that group members share additional items.  Betsy will talk with Martha about arranging the meeting with PS and CM.

Michele commented that PS and CM need to understand that TS is operating under some limitations - both resource limitations and those imposed by Aleph and FCLA.  Naomi pointed out that any TS discussion with PS and CM will logically be two-way because of the interdependence of the organization whereby each division has priorities depending on the action of the other divisions.

Naomi and Cathy reported that the upcoming A Team meeting will address item sorting problems and provide training in how to clean-up records. 

FCLA rep at meetings

Betsy passed along Martha's suggestion that periodically FCLA staff be invited to attend.  The group discussed the possibility of asking Donna Alsbury to attend an upcoming meeting to discuss the development of a reports database to support Aleph workflows.

Authorities

Priscilla reported that investigations are underway into the possibility of outsourcing authority maintenance tasks.  Among the vendors consulted thus far are Marcive, Backstage Library Works, and Library Technologies, Inc. (LTI).  Cost estimates have been received for processing the entire backfile of approximately 3.3 million bibliographic records, the "gap file" consisting of approximately 196,000 bibliographic records added to the catalog after migrating to Aleph, and annual ongoing maintenance.  Prices range from $61,000 to $132,000 for the backfile, $10,000 to $22,000 for the gap file, and $8,000 to $15,000 for annual maintenance (figures are approximate).  Priscilla has shared this information with the SUL.  Some type of consortial arrangement will be explored.

A major stumbling block to processing the backfile is loading the records back into the catalog.  At 5,000 records per day (the current limit through GenLoad) it is not feasible.  Nancy suggested inquiring if the vendor might provide a report only for the backfile and not try to reload the records.  Priscilla plans to contact the vendors about this.

Committee charge

Betsy referred to the committee charge and asked the group to consider if all tasks are being addressed.  A discussion followed about training and loaders.

Training

According to the committee charge, the group is supposed to "supervise post-STP Aleph cataloging, acquisitions, and serials training in consultation with the RS Training Committee."  Betsy explained that the Cataloging and Metadata Department has a very active training committee, which is open to hearing training ideas from the TS Aleph Implementation Group. 

Cecilia expressed interest in additional reports-related training with a focus being to articulate the types of reports needed and to survey what kinds of Aleph reports can be generated.  Michele pointed out that Jack Waters has done a lot of work in this regard.  Betsy mentioned that Cataloging's report needs at this point in time center on authorities and cataloging statistics.  Cecilia volunteered to compile a list of needed reports.

Michele said that a refresher course for collection managers will likely be offered.

Loaders

Per the committee charge, the group is expected to "collaborate with FCLA to configure record loaders."  Betsy suggested the group develop a list of outstanding enhancements for GenLoad. 

Michele and Suzanne described that the Aleph loaders used in Acquisitions have to be customized for individual vendors.  Daniel Cromwell has developed internal fixes and macros to make the Aleph loaders usable.

 

The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, September 8, 10:00-11:30am, Library East Conference Room.

 

University of Florida Home Page