Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

 

TS Aleph Implementation Group Minutes
August 12, 2004

We welcomed Suzy Covey who was attending for the first time! Suzy will be working closely with the Authorities and Metadata Quality Unit to tackle Aleph authority issues.

LTUF freeze
Betsy called attention to FCLA plans to freeze LTUF (i.e., make it read-only) beginning January 1, 2005. [Read email] Lawan suggested that the link-checking program could continue to be run on NOTIS records beyond 1/1/05 in the absence of a link-checking program for use with Aleph. If the freeze date were extended and the UF URLLIST produced, the Database Maintenance Unit could delete or update broken links in NOTIS in order to remove the links from the reports. Aleph records would be updated based on the reports. The group discussed possibilities for setting up link-checking in Aleph. Jimmie and Lawan, co-chairs of the Links Monitoring and Maintenance Committee, arranged to investigate this further with Julia and Suzy.

LTQF, the NOTIS partition for PALMM Collection material, will remain operational until all SUL have migrated to Aleph. In the interim, FCLA will load LTQF records into each institution's Aleph catalog on a regular schedule so that individual library catalogs can reflect the SUL-wide holdings. Both DLC and Cataloging staff need edit access to LTQF while in this transition phase.

Connecting to SUL through Aleph
Betsy asked the group for input related to providing access to other SUL catalogs through the UF Client [Read email from Rich]. Naomi mentioned the possibility of deriving SUL records, although record capture is obtainable through many other means. For the most part the group agreed primary use of the function would be to review Acquisitions data. Jean commented that receipt dates are helpful to see. Rich offered to ask Daniel to set up access to enable testing.

Training activities
Rich reminded the group that the Test client is going to be upgraded soon and the process might cause training data to be lost. Rich said he will ask FCLA to wait until the end of August to do the upgrade. Lawan asked if records could be added to Test, and Rich said he would check about that as well.

Acquisitions
Michele announced that the Acq Info class for Collection Management and Reference should be ready by the end of August. Michele will take responsibility for scheduling the class. Betsy said that catalogers would like to attend such a class, and Michele said this should be possible.

Cataloging
Betsy reported that the Circ Policy Committee is interested in a Cataloging for Non-Catalogers type class. Doug Smith and Jorge Gonzalez have volunteered to work with a Circ staffperson to craft a class that meets their needs. Michele recommended that Doug Kiker be included as a trainer. Jan offered to follow-up with Carol Turner about making the Circ staff assignment.

Macro Express
Julia announced that she and Jason plan to conduct Macro Express training sessions, including meeting with the A Team. Trudi will advertise the classes. Julia was advised to talk to Marilyn Ochoa about getting Macro Express installed on the instructor computer in MSL 107.

Training for new staff
Jan inquired how new staff will be introduced to Aleph. Is there a need for training beyond the one-on-one training provided by supervisors and co-workers and the online documentation? During the discussion, there were comments that the cataloging trainer liaison model put in effect during the Aleph migration has been beneficial. Betsy mentioned that Jackie Brown is the department coordinator for cataloging training. Jackie provides introductory cataloging training and arranges for additional training as requested. Tatiana suggested that Trudi be consulted about the possibility of including an introduction to Aleph (e.g., ALE 101, ALE 201) in the new staff orientation.

Documentation
Jean asked if FCLA plans to post Aleph documentation. As an example, Jean said it would be helpful to be able to access information re. options for item sorting from a central location rather than having to look back through a voluminous amount of e-mail exchanges. Rich said there has never been a central documentation center in spite of the interest. CCLA does provide this service. Rich suggested Jean send him specific examples of information that could be posted by FCLA so that he can revisit the idea with them.

Item Records Standard Group
Naomi said the group sent a draft document to a wide range of staff on 8/8/04 and has received requests to expand the table section with instructions on how to handle various situations. [Read Doug K's email] At the 8/11/04 TS/PS meeting no areas of conflict emerged. There is general consensus to accept the draft standard. Naomi plans to review the Items and Holdings Guide (available at http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/rs/RSTech/aleph/aleph.htm) developed by the Cataloging Trainers and reconcile it with the standard as needed.

Loaders
Julia proclaimed that she was able to add the YBP virtual and firm order records through GenLoad successfully! The vendor record loader ("YBP Loader" in Alephese) is still being configured. Jan reported that FCLA is working on the Marcive loader.

Reports
The Report Client is available for downloading. Rich has placed it on the network at Smathersnt2r/Projects/Aleph/Other ALEPH Stuff/Other Client Info/UF Report. Staff should use their Prod userid and password to access Report. Rich cautioned the group not to confuse the Prod and Report Clients. With version 15.5 most modules in Report show the reddish orange background color also used with Test, but later versions of Aleph will have module displays similar to the Circ Module, which does not have a background color to provide a visual cue as to which client is being used. FCLA has provided brief instructions re. the Report Client in a 8/3/04 e-mail to the LMS-PROJECT list [Read email].

Michele said there are problems with running claims reports. Martha responded that Systems could be tapped for help if needed. Rich and others pointed out Donna's work to create an ARROW interface for Aleph. Julia mentioned that it might be necessary to create a custom report.

Martha asked about progress on a report for cataloging statistics. Betsy explained that she and Julia had discussed this but had postponed further investigation due to more pressing concerns. Inherent in extracting cataloging statistics is the need to determine the point at which a title is actually cataloged. The Aleph workflow prevents the use of the bib record download date or the item record creation date to signify the point of cataloging. Martha suggested that catalogers might add a date to their initials on the bib in the hope that this information could be used to generate statistics.

Nancy and Gerald have looked at the reports available through Aleph and discussed the type of data needed from the system but have not produced any reports yet.

Macro Express
Julia and Jason have created preliminary guidelines for use. Their plan is to create a suite of macro packages for various functions from which staff can select and download. Julia explained that, in addition, staff will be able to create individual macros.

Permissions
Rich reported that permissions remain in development, so we are still operating in the more open permission environment set up at STP.

The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, September 9, 10:00-11:30, Library East Conference Room.

 

 

University of Florida Home Page