TS Aleph Implementation
September 8, 2005
We welcomed Matthew Daley, Access Services, who will be attending the group's meetings. Glad to have you join us, Matthew!
Betsy distributed information about using Aleph triggers to generate cataloging statistics. Triggers are easy to create using the Edit/Record Triggers function, which opens a window and allows the cataloger to choose a department and enter text. The Trigger report includes the system number, title, create date, userid, department, and text. It can be transferred to an Excel spreadsheet for sorting.
In order for triggers to be used to collect statistics, the following tasks need to be accomplished:
- departments have to be customized in the trigger window
- a standard format for recording stats must to be developed
- a macro needs to be created to assist catalogers with inputting data
- a method for exporting the results to Excel should be investigated
Suzy will work with the TKR Standard Group to address these issues.
One difficulty might be determining a way to include the item count. Michele mentioned that Jason has developed a macro to count pieces, which might be worth examining. Rich wondered if triggers can be attached to holdings and/or items. Previously noted problems with multiplying holdings prompted Naomi to advise caution. Jimmie suggested the possibility of getting the item counts at the back-end when Processing creates the spine labels.
The group discussed the need to reconsider the types of statistics currently collected. Moving forward, the statistics should be in sync with ARL requirements and serve a useful purpose.
New Title list
Reporting for Suzy, Betsy announced that there is no word yet on the SysRequest for programming to create the New Title list. It might be possible to use triggers instead of cataloger-input TKRs as the basis for the New Title list.
TS/PS/CM joint meeting
Betsy distributed Martha's 8/26/05 e-mail to TS/PS/CM department heads, which confirmed that joint meetings will be held quarterly with the next to take place on October 13. This will be in lieu of the TS Aleph Implementation Group meeting. In her e-mail Martha asked for names of operational staff to include and proposed an agenda. Martha and Betsy will follow-up with the department heads.
The group discussed and finalized the agenda:
- Updates from the following groups:
Continuing Resources Policy Group (Michele)
TS Aleph Implementation Group (Betsy)
Circulation Policy Committee (Carol Turner)
- UF OPAC review group (Rich) [Rich will talk to Carol T. about charging a group prior to the October 13 joint meeting.)
- Item sorting (Cathy) (incl. 9/15 A-Team training; Preservation OPS; and status of Jason's macro)
- New Title list (Suzy)
- In-Process Requests task group (Martha/Carol T.) (Martha will talk to Carol about charging a group, which will include Doug S., Matthew, Rich, and possibly others.)
- Item records/IPS codes (Betsy) (incl. display differences between NOTIS and Aleph; possibility for generic text when no item record)
- Macros (Jason) (incl. info re. requesting Macro Express and arranging for training)
- Aleph reports and training (Michele) (incl. invite to November 10 TS Aleph Implementation Group meeting when Donna Alsbury will be speaking about Aleph reports; info re. plans to offer training re. budgets)
- Reporting/tracking Aleph problems (Martha)
- plus opportunity to have general discussion about other topics of interest
Jimmie suggested that Aleph LKR functionality be a future agenda item.
Priscilla reported that FCLA is making some progress loading the updated subject files into LCA10. The Authorities Subcommittee is planning to meet to discuss workflows and coordinate clean-up activities.
Martha expressed TSPC's expectation that the Authorities Subcommittee will issue a strong statement about the flawed nature of Aleph's authority structure and the continuing need for FCLA support.
The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, October 13, 10:00-11:30am, Library East Conference Room. It will be a TS/PS/CM joint meeting.