Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

RS Migration Group Minutes

October 30, 2003


Subset Load 4 patterns review
Serial patterns improve efficiency by supporting predictive check-in. To avoid UF having to input all our serial patterns manually, FCLA loaded Harvard's serial patterns into UF's Aleph client. The patterns are noted on the Holdings records (HOL) via 853 pairs. One 853 provides the pattern; the second 853 gives an example of the enumeration and chronology for the particular title.

Overall the patterns migration looked good. Michele reported that 15 problem reports were submitted for the Subset Load 4 patterns review, which ended in mid-October. As of October 29 we had been notified of one fix.

The loading process resulted in multiple 853 pairs being added to HOL records. Extraneous 853 pairs will have to be removed manually after migration.

When asked about the migration of 854 supplement information, Michele and Naomi said they had not come across examples, except possibly one. This will need to be looked at more carefully during the upcoming full load review. Also, it is unclear whether we will archive defunct 853 pairs.

Full Load 2 review
Rich and Nancy commented that the Full Load 2 review will probably not begin until at least the 2nd week of November. While the full dataload has gone well overall, FCLA has experienced some indexing problems. Per group consensus, Betsy will send an email to the Aleph data reviewers to alert them that the full load review will begin soon. The plan is to give a three to four week deadline for reporting problems.

Client versions
The current version for the UFTest and UFProd clients is 15.5.1 (see RS Aleph Web site - <http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/rs/catpro/alephsupport.html>). UFProd Version 15.5.1 can be downloaded from FCLA's Web site. Rich will place a copy on our local server soon, and Betsy will notify the data reviewers.

Rich reported that he, Winston Harris, Will Chaney, Julia Allen and representatives from Health and Law recently attended a training session at FCLA re. permissions, reporting, printing, and other systems related functions. They learned that FCLA has not received Version 15.5.2 from Ex Libris yet, making it possible that UF will not STP with that version as planned. Rich also mentioned that there was some discussion about UF employing a networked version of the client. Rich and others will be looking more closely at this idea as they progress with testing the various functions.

GUI client customization
Michele and Betsy distributed documentation related to GUI client customization decisions and recommendations:

Acquisitions & Serials
<http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/serials/ALEPH/acqserGui.htm>

Michele explained the Acquisitions and Serials related customization decisions were made by Smathers, Health, and Law staff in consultation with FCLA.

Cataloging, etc.
<http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/rs/rsd/Customizedraft.doc>

Mini-searches
The group discussed various options for the module mini-searches. Rich pointed out that the mini-search choices can be easily changed. Betsy commented that searching in the Search Module is a good alternative to the mini-searches and offers some advantages. For example, the Find mini-searches have a retrieval limit of 100; in fact, if the results list is 100 or more, the search is aborted. Also, mini-search results lists disappear after a record is selected, which is not the case in the Search Module. Rich said the mini-searches work well for known item searching.

Cathy asked about the Items Module mini-search choices, which were not included in the customization documentation presented by Michele and Betsy. Cathy said Preservation would find the following Items mini-searches useful: Dewey call number, LC call number, ISSN, and Title. Betsy asked if it would be helpful to have the barcode number as a mini-search. Rich responded that Circulation does search by barcode number and suggested that Lori be consulted regarding the Items mini-searches. Betsy will consult with Lori. [The barcode number search is provided as a separate search with its own icon on the toolbar.]

Search Module searches
The group voiced no objection to requesting that FCLA configure the Search Module Find and Browse searches so that they are alphabetized by heading name with the code in parentheses and so that the top three to five most heavily used searches are placed at the top of the lists. Hearing no strong preferences for the top searches, Jimmie and Betsy will make the decision after consulting with Denise Bennett.

Templates
Betsy explained that templates can be made available off the server, through a LAN, or on an individual workstation.

Naomi suggested that there be an e-journal template in addition to a template for each format.

Michele distributed a copy of the Acquisitions Module Catalog Record template. She explained that only 10 categories are included in the template and the records created are not viewable in the Web OPAC. For those reasons, Acquisitions and CM Support plan to create brief record templates for use in the Catalog Module. Lily said CM Support has done some testing of the template creation function, and the process seems very manageable.

Lock record function
The group agreed with the recommendation to automatically unlock locked records after one hour of inactivity.

Client background colors
Betsy stated that it is our understanding that the background color is client specific, not module specific, and that it is not customizable at the workstation level. She will confirm this with Daniel. [per Daniel, it is possible to customize the color at the workstation level.] Naomi recommended that the group take ergonomic issues into consideration when making a proposal. Betsy mentioned that Julia and/or Trudi should be able to give good input.

Floating keyboard
Tatiana described the floating keyboard and explained that it needs to be used in conjunction with another document, which gives labels for the graphic representations. In addition, Tatiana explained that diacritics can be entered manually using Unicode equivalents, and, in fact, in some cases Unicode inputting is required because the diacritic is not included in the floating keyboard.

Material Type sort
The Issue and Book sorts will be examined in the next full load when we have a good sampling of serials with 008/21 coded blank.

Triggers
Betsy solicited input on possible uses of the Trigger feature. At this stage, it is difficult to determine how it might be used. Possibilities might include triggers to identify rush and notify requests, submitted SACO headings, and claims although there may be better mechanisms to handle these. As workflow testing progresses, other ideas might materialize.

Item Processing Statuses
Cathy announced that she will be meeting with Jennifer Kuntz, FCLA LMS Field Specialist for Public Services, to review the Preservation workflow and determine whether or not Preservation needs to use Item Processing Statuses.

As the functional groups make headway with testing workflow, it will become clearer how the Item Processing Statuses affect changes and if any need to be revised or added.

Validation function (i.e., Check button)
The validation function still needs to be configured. Gerald is awaiting input from Daniel.

Locate Similar Record
A couple of ideas were put forth for configuring the Locate Similar Record function: 1) identify records with the same first subject headings 2) identify records where the 130/245 field in one record matches a 7XX field in another record - this would replace the rrl and rrp title level notes.

Item List sort options
The group endorses the idea of using the setup described in the 10/2/02 RS Migration Group minutes, which appears to be the current default.

Cataloging training
Betsy announced that the Cataloging Trainers Group has decided to offer three core cataloging classes - Introduction to Cataloging (covers copy cataloging workflow), Advanced Cataloging I (covers original cataloging workflow), and Advanced Cataloging II (covers authority record creation, analytics, alternative cataloging methods). The use of CatME will be incorporated as an integral part of the cataloging workflow. Please note that the class titles and exact descriptions are still in development.

The Cataloging Trainers Group endorsed the idea of a Technical Services Lite class to provide an introduction to Acquisitions, Cataloging, and Circulation for all staff. A small poll of individual collection managers, public service staff, and others indicates that this type of class would be welcomed.

At the last Cataloging Trainers Group meeting, Cecilia proposed that a Serials class be offered to cover all aspects of Serials. This idea is under discussion.

The next Cataloging Trainers Group meeting is scheduled for December 11. At that meeting, Doug Smith, Julia Allen, Jorge Gonzalez, and Jackie Brown will demo their draft training scripts for the Introduction to Cataloging and Advanced Cataloging I classes.

Acquisitions and Serials training
Michele reported that the Acquisitions and Serials functions have been divided into five training groups: Fund Codes Group, Paying/PeopleSoft Group, Serials Acquisitions/Subscriptions Group, Serials Check-in/Binding Group, Monographs Acquisitions/Receiving Group (see <http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/serials/aleph/alephgroup.htm>).

Presentations of the various workflows are scheduled as follows:

November 19 - Paying/PeopleSoft Group
December 3 - Monographs Acquisitions/Receiving Group
December 17 - Serials Acquisitions/Subscriptions Group; Serials Check-in/Binding Group

After the workflows are established, training scripts will be developed.

The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, December 4, Library East Conference Room, 10:00-11:30am.

Tasks:
Conduct Full Load 2 review (All)
Continue to test workflow (All)
Develop training curriculums (training groups)
Investigate customization options (All)


Prepared by: Betsy Simpson
Last updated: December 20, 2003


 

University of Florida Home Page