Michele Crump & David Schwieder (Co-Chairs); Members: Amy Buhler (MSL), Steve Carrico (Acquisitions), Gus Clifton (IT), Mary Edwards (HSCL), Rachael Elrod (Departmental Libraries), Leilani Freund (LW), Brian Keith (Administrative Services), John Nemmers (SASC), Elizabeth Outler (LIC), Betsy Simpson (Cataloging), Grace Strawn (Fiscal Services), Margarita Vargas-Betancourt (SASC) and Ben Walker (Digital Services and Shared Collections).
Members will serve on a rotating basis and the membership will have one representative from each of the Libraries’ statistical collection units and the Legal Information Center.
Statistics and Reports
Coordinate library-wide collection and reporting of statistics and data for organizations such as ARL, ACRL, ASERL, AAHSL, IPEDS, and academic department accreditation surveys. Ensure that proper formats are followed and that deadlines are met. Retain an archive of submitted data and materials.
- Manage and revise master listing of surveys and data requests received and completed throughout the libraries. This will include internal/workflow statistics needed to streamline library procedures.
- Manage and revise up-to-date master list of designated statistics collectors from each branch library and key departments.
In cooperation with the IT department, ensure that the data collection system accumulates the range and types of data useful in assessing trends and outcomes associated with library operations. In addition the system should archive and make accessible this library information in available agile reports.
- Maintain web site or LibGuide to serve as a central portal for gathering/inputting statistics and as a formal posting site to publish publicly-distributed reports and results.
- Standardize and ensure the integrity of the statistics and data collected and reported for organizations and accreditation
- Suggest and define types of data to be collected for the ongoing assessment of UF library services, spaces and technology
- Identify standard data collection techniques and protocols
- Repository form completed survey data
- Archive collected statistics and data
- Review statistical reports for discrepancies and clarity
Develop and promote assessment procedures to facilitate development of an evidence-based decision making model and a broader library culture of assessment at the UF Libraries. Diverse projects and initiatives will require varying assessment methods and tools; accordingly, the Committee will serve in a consulting capacity and will help individuals and groups to design studies and choose tools that best meet individual assessment needs. The Committee should assist in the awareness of the types of data collected and its availability to staff within the libraries. In order to address specific areas of interest identified within the Committee or via requests from outside members, the Committee may break into specific sub-groups or task forces, and invite non-committee members to serve on these bodies.
The committee is to stay abreast of best practices regarding the collection of data and use of metrics in assessing library performance and contributions to university objectives. This will be ongoing and may take a number of forms, but initially the committee should conduct a literature review and environmental scan, the findings of which should be shared with Joint Chairs.
Specific activities will include:
- Assist in assessments with various UF user groups, including and not limited to: undergraduate students, graduate students, postdoctoral researchers, teaching faculty, librarians, IT staff, other staff
- Assist in assessments with various non-UF user groups as time permits
- Coordinate assessment activities throughout the UF branch libraries to ensure broad representation of input from users
- Analyze and synthesize assessment data and feedback to develop recommendations for specific library changes and improvements
Role: The group reports through Joint Chairs and has advisory and operational responsibilities.
- Identify and define data to be gathered for ARL surveys.
- Footnote gathering techniques for consistent data reporting.
- Adjust and maintain a chart of library staff that report statistics in each category.
- Adjust Aleph codes to better identify categories for statistics gathering.
- Identify and/or create Aleph reports that will support ARL statistics gathering.
- Liaison with E-Resources Unit concerning SerialsSolution statistics for online journals and FCLA for consortia data.
- Build and maintain a web page for statistical gathering and reporting
Report statistics here
- Final report: August 3, 2007