November 8, 2005
Smathers Library Conference Room
Members Present: Tatiana Barr, Pam Cenzer, Bill Covey, Trudi DiTrolio (facilitator), LeiLani Freund, Brian Keith, Jim Liversidge, Tom Minton, Misty Swain, Jan Swanbeck and Ben Walker
Members Absent: Shelley Arlen, Barbara Hood, Suzanne Kiker and Rob Roberts
Communications Committee Web page
- Trudi DiTrolio, Tom Minton and Misty Swain will develop a Communications Committee Web page that will be linked from the Library Administration Web page. It will contain the Town Meeting dates, times, locations, minutes and a Blog or possibly the Library Bulletin Board (if it can be repaired) for follow-up discussions. Bill Covey will check on the Bulletin Board’s status. Other suggested uses for the site were:
- Links to Library publications (Library News, Chapter One, etc)
- Library event highlights
- Staff recognition
- Links to newspaper articles, etc mentioning the Library
- Summary of communication mechanisms used to foster communication
- It may be possible to move staff and furniture back into the building before books. However, those decisions will be governed by regulatory restrictions. Hopefully, more move-in date details will be available from Environmental Health and Safety next week. Bill Covey suggested committee members poll staff to see if an early or late move-in is desired.
- The site is being prepared for some landscaping.
- The sixth floor carpet installation is complete and the fifth floor installation has begun.
- Almost all of the interior walls have been completed.
- The white boards are being relocated.
- The revolving door is installed.
- Electronic door access is being installed.
- The northern curtain wall is being installed.
- The paint finish has been changed to University eggshell.
- The power, water and HVAC system has been running successfully.
- There will be very little parking. What is available will be mostly handicapped with a few spaces allotted to library service vehicles.
- Starbucks’ representatives visited a couple weeks ago. The last scenario eluded to was a 500 sq ft facility to the right just inside the Library West entrance. This scenario would allow for the seating space originally planned. NOTE: None of this information has been officially received from the UF Administration.
- No decisions have been made regarding Library East after Library West staff move out.
Suggested topics for quarterly meeting with Directors
- Discuss Library West building opening not being postponed until opening events can be held. NOTE: The actual building opening would only be held up due to regulatory reasons.
- Faculty survey – does Dale Canelas plan to address it.
- Dale Canelas’ take on the direction of the Library Faculty Governance process after a plan is developed.
- The videos being developed by the PR & Marketing Committee.
- Staff position review/restructuring