Quarterly Communications Committee Meeting with Directors
September 13, 2005
2pm - 3pm
Smathers Library Conference Room
Members Present: Shelley Arlen, Tatiana Barr,Pam Cenzer, Bill Covey, Trudi DiTrolio (facilitator), LeiLani Freund, Suzanne Kiker, Jim Liversidge, Tom Minton, Misty Swain, Jan Swanbeck, and Ben Walker.
Members Absent : Barbara Hood and Rob Roberts
Guests: Dale Canelas, Martha Hruska, John Ingram and Carol Turner
- Materials are currently being moved from LAD to the Publix Annex and ALF. There is not a timeline for when the Libraries will vacate the Publix Annex facility. However, when that move does occur it will be a separate bid from the move back into Library West.
- Library East work space assessments are beginning. The future of Library East, such as, if and when it will be renovated is not known but space assessments will be important when that time does come. The assessment will also assist in figuring out how to better utilize the building when Library West staff move out. It is important for the Libraries to define for ourselves, decide where we are going and report that to UF.
- A the August 18, 2005 Town Meeting President Machen said he was going to convene a committee to determine what UF Libraries will require in the long term future in reference to physicality, collections, resources, etc and what will be needed to get UF into the top ten. This committee will also look at the possibility of merging Smathers and the Health Science Center Library. Dale Canelas and Provost Fouke discussed the formation of this committee. The committee has not received a specific charge however Dale has been asked to think about faculty (non library) that would be interested in serving on the committee.
- A proposal for a new AFA Library has been submitted.
- In the August 18, 2005 Town Meeting President Machen expressed that although staff (non-faculty) are very important to the University they do not share the same rights, responsibilities and privileges as faculty. His comments will not change the Libraries approach in including non-faculty library staff in Library business, etc.
- Provost Fouke wants to be helpful to the libraries but admits her focus must be elsewhere for at least the next six months. She has been asked to serve on a committee to assess PeopleSoft problems. Bill Covey is sending forth information about what the library thinks could be improved in the system.
- A committee lead by Denise Bogart-Caballero (former Lib HR Head) was reviewing the Libraries’ classification structure to determine if there was a series that made more sense for the Libraries. Dale Canelas wanted to see if the Libraries could do something similar to UF’s IT position restructuring. Unfortunately, Ms. Bogart-Caballero left before a proposed structure could be identified. It will probably be another year before Brian Keith (new Lib HR Head) will be able to begin this task again.
- Committee members were encouraged to bring forth questions as they arise and not to wait for meetings.
- The committee was asked to review communication mechanisms in place Library wide and determine what works and what does not.