Meeting Minutes: Convocation Planning Committee
1/8/2007 ◦ 1:00 PM ◦ Library East Conference Room
Christine Driver; Jason Fleming; Sara Russell Gonzalez; Dan Reboussin; Jay Wiese; Adrian Zeck; Brian Keith (ex officio)
Last meeting's minutes- review
Review of minutes was ongoing for each topic discussed.
Committee agreed to schedule Convocation for Wednesday, May 9, 2-4 pm. Cleanup will be from 4-6. Brian will send a 'save the date' email to all staff.
Since it appears that renovations of Smathers 100 will be completed before May 9, Committee agreed to hold Convocation this room. Keene Faculty Center is no longer being considered as a fallback location.
Jason will reserve Smathers 100 for the event.
The Dean of Libraries or (interim Dean) will be invited to make a few remarks about the future of the libraries. We will revisit this at the next meeting.
Selected department heads will be invited to make one brief remark (90 seconds) about their department's accomplishments. The committee will solicit via an email in late March. Committee will select remarks from the submission at a later meeting.
The committee will invite John Ingram or Trudi Di Trolio to at as emcee.
Based on numbers from the holiday parties, the committee decided to spend most of the budget ($500) on food. Sara and Christine will investigate catering options from Publix, Sam's Club, and others.
The committee discussed the following possibilities:
- Ongoing multimedia presentation with historical images of the libraries and staff
- Posters with service pin recipient's names and accomplishments submitted by department heads
- Banner with timeline of Smathers history
- Streamers, ornaments and other types of decoration
In addition to the ideas discussed at the last meeting:
- Recognize service pin recipients in program, posters, PowerPoint;
- Longer periods of service, recognize verbally
The committee discussed the following ideas:
- 'This is your life' type presentation for those who have been working at the libraries for 35+ years
- PowerPoint or posters listing years of service for all employees
Brian will ask the Employee Recognition Committee to clarify which levels of service pins should be awarded at the department level and which will be awarded at Convocation.
The Committee agreed that it would be desirable to include an interactive activity such as a Library trivia quiz (Jeopardy) game between two staff members selected by the audience.
Prizes might be donated in-kind by local businesses. Dan will contact the manager of Chipotle restaurant regarding donations.
Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2007