Employee Recognition Committee Meeting
September 25, 2006
Library East Conference Room
Attendees: Betsy S., Peter McK., Laurie B., Dina B., Brett D.
Objective: To discuss the Discretionary Recognition Fund Draft. Our budget includes $2,000 seed money to begin a program based on the concept developed by the Staff Recognition and Awards Committee
Service Pin update: Trudi D. wants to use laminated certificates instead of the plain paper certificates.
- Half of the certificates have been laminated.
- The certificates should be ready in October.
Peter will take a look at a site for ideas:
Per Laurie: Presented the ideas to have supervisors attend workshops for training on employee recognition.
ERC revised the Draft of Last Years Discretionary Recognition Fund proposal
- Reorganized ideas in order to come up with viable examples of what we can realistically carry out.
- Criteria seemed more geared towards organized efforts.
We reworded the part stating: “Organized efforts on the departmental and unit level are particularly encouraged.”
- OPS employees may not put forward proposals for use of the Discretionary Recognition Fund.
- We changed this:
Proposals can be made to fund events, but the events should not be purely social. The focus/purpose should be on staff recognition, and tied to Library goals and objectives.
To say this:
Proposals may fund staff recognition events.
- We decided to not state the amount of money that the fund will give out per proposal.
- Discussed having an open timeline for acceptance of proposals.
Per Peter: Talked about presenting the Discretionary Recognition Fund in a future Town Meeting, and opening the floor to any questions they may have about the fund.
We also discussed having Trudi D. talk about the Discretionary Recognition Fund at workshops.
Hold a focus group to ask for ideas from employees on what they think about our Draft of the Discretionary Recognition Fund
Per Peter: Idea presented to do some form of awards that are fun.
Brett said he would talk to Lori Driscoll about how she came up with the fun awards for the AFL Barbecue in 2004.
- Lori said she brainstormed, found out about inside jokes in the office, and also used creativity to combine knowledge of her employee’s personalities in order to come up with the fun award certificates.
We decided to invite Barbara Oliver to a future meeting to discuss regulations regarding the use of Discretionary Recognition Funds.
Agenda for future ERC mettings:
- Convocation Committee October 9th , 2006.
- Barbara Oliver October 23rd, 2006
Recorder: Brett Diaz