Employee Recognition Committee Meeting
November 8, 2007
Library East Conference Room
Attendees: Betsy Simpson (chair), Brian Keith, Barbara Hood, Debra Fetzer, Laurie Brennan, Barbara Gunderson, Ben Walker, Lourdes Santamaria-Wheeler
Guests: Cathy Martyniak
Researching Employee Recognition funding at other institutions
- Cathy was tasked by Judy to investigate funding at other schools
- We need to refine the purpose of the current $25k Staff Development endowment; based on the name, it appears to focus on staff development rather than employee recognition. The group agreed that staff development and travel should be separate from employee recognition.
- We need to determine if these two functions are separate at other schools, and the group felt we could discuss this with Judy at our next meeting. The consensus among the committee was that researching staff development should not be a part of our charge.
- Brian will work with Cathy on the wording of an email to other ARL directors and SUL directors (to be submitted to the appropriate listservs via Judy). We will also send this survey to a personnel listserv that Brian can access.
- In the meantime, we will continue to budget for employee recognition from the Dean’s discretionary fund.
Bulk purchase of paper supplies
- It was suggested that we should buy bulk paper supplies, which would allow any party planners to spend more money on food, while using the stockpiled paper supplies.
- The group discussed how much to buy, and we decided that it should be based on a certain number of dollars. When/if that runs out, we’ll buy more.
- The items will be stored in the kitchen or the second floor storage room in Library East.
- Barbara Gunderson and Betsy will go to Sam’s to purchase the supplies.
- We will plan to use these at the next retirement (Steve Fuquay)
ERC as awards clearinghouse
- Betsy distributed a list of possible awards.
- The group suggested several ways of distributing this information:
- Create flyers for these awards and post them in appropriate areas.
- Discuss upcoming awards at Library Council.
- Email supervisors prior to each award deadline (at least one month in advance).
- Email staff and ask them to respond with other awards, while also reminding them of the awards page.
- Laurie, Debra (IT-related), and Betsy agreed to research other awards.
12/13/2007 meeting with Dean Russell
- The group agreed that the meeting with Dean Russell should offer an opportunity for each member (if desired) to comment on the importance of employee recognition and what it means to him/her.
- The group wants to discuss the current charge.
- The group plans to inform the dean of past and current activities of the committee.
- The group wants to reinforce the importance of dean and director involvement in the day to day activities.
- The group discussed the need to identify some goals of the committee.
- Betsy will send an email that will review the plan for the meeting.
Recorder: Ben Walker