Retirements provide a wonderful opportunity to recognize employees who have contributed many years of service to the library. Below is a list of tips for department chairs and others responsible for organizing a retirement celebration.
- Notify the Employee Recognition Committee at the beginning of the planning process. A total of $350 is available for each retirement party for food and a gift for the retiree. No more than $100 of the $350 can be spent on the gift. Any total amount spent over $350 will not be reimbursed. If more than one person is purchasing for the event, be sure to communicate and coordinate expenses. If $350 is deemed insufficient, consider taking up a collection for a gift.
- Honors for the retiree might include the following. The Department Chair or Division Director send forward recommendations.
- Retirement party
- Check the master calendar when setting the date.
- Reserve the room for the event.
- Contact Facilities to assist with room arranging as needed if the event will be held in the library.
- When you send the invitation, remember there are retirees who might like to join the festivities. Contact the Admin Office to consult a list of retirees.
- Contact Barbara Hood, director of communications, if you want photos taken.
- Party equipment (e.g., punch bowls) is available for your use. Check with the Admin Office about using items in the Smathers 2nd floor kitchen.
- The Employee Recognition Committee maintains a supply of paper goods (plates, cups, napkins, utensils) for retirement parties. Contact the committee to arrange for pick-up.
- Receipts for food and decorations should be submitted to the Admin Office. Please use the Employee Recognition Committee's Reimbursement Form and specify the name of the event on the paperwork. The library has an account with Publix through which purchases may be made. This avoids a cash outlay by your group but does require the presence of an authorized library employee when making the purchase to pay for the food.
- Please note that in order for expenses to be reimbursed, purchases must comply with UF policies, which restrict some types of purchases. For example, only beverages in the Pepsi product line may be purchased with library funds for functions such as retirement parties because of an exclusive licensing agreement between UF and Pepsi Co. If you have any questions about purchases, please contact the Employee Recognition Committee.
- The retiree gift is determined by the department. In the past, silver platters were routinely given to retirees, and this is still an option if desired - contact HR for ordering information. Cash gifts, including gift cards, are not reimbursable.
- Adding a personal touch is always a hit with the retiree - consider the following ideas: a memory book for others to sign, a slide show or photo album, a framed photo of the department.