Faculty Recruitment Policies and Practices Committee
Committee ChargeLibrary Objectives
- To establish policies and procedures that promote the successful recruitment of highly qualified faculty and best serves all of the libraries' stakeholders
Specific charges to the committee:
- Review the current library recruitment policies (http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/pers/develop/Search.html) and practices
- Review the policies and practices of other relevant organizations
- Review the recently released UF Faculty Recruitment Toolkit
- Solicit input of relevant stakeholders, including supervisors and managers
- Develop draft policies and procedures that optimize recruitment outcomes, best serve the libraries, and conform to UF regulations
- Solicit and consider input on these draft policies from members of the Smathers faculty, including the UFLFA
- Submit draft policies and procedures to the Library Directors
Draft due to the Directors by April 30, 2008
Activities:Committee members request your input at the following:
- Feb 14: Journal Club on recruitment. Help us identify best practices for enlarging and focusing the applicant pools for our positions. Please read: "Recruiting Non-MLIS Graduate Students to Academic Librarianship." Knowlton, Sean Patrick and Imamoto, Becky. College & Research Libraries Nov. 2006, 67(6): 561-570. Available online in PDF or HTML versions. Please also look at other articles we find of interest.
- Feb 28: Town Meeting - focused discussion, based on the examination of recruitment policies and procedures at other units on campus and at other libraries.
- Feb 28 - March 9: Survey - Please respond to questions (sent via email) aimed at recently-hired librarians, recent search committee members, supervisors, and everyone. We welcome your suggestions for improving all stages of the recruitment process. Please also look at the list of posting places where we send all our PVAs. Send any additions or deletions to Brian or Denise.
- April 7: Special LFA discussion - Please react to the draft documents prepared by the committee.
- April 21: LFA meeting - Poll taken to indicate approval of the draft documents by the Assembly. Final comments due by April 24.
- April 30: Final report submitted with policy, updated appendices, and survey results.
- current George A. Smathers Libraries: Search and Selection Guidelines for Faculty
- new UF Faculty Recruitment Toolkit
- examples of Library Faculty Recruitment Policies from other libraries
- summary of survey results
- Draft 2 of policy and appendices
- Draft 10/22/2008 of policy and appendices
- UFF Memorandum of Agreement Implementing Contract Provisions -- see Appointment section.
- Denise Bennett, Chair
- Suzanne Brown
- Steve Carrico
- Chelsea Dinsmore
- Sara Russell Gonzalez
- Matthew Loving
- Nancy Poehlmann
- Missy Shoop
- Flo Turcotte
- Priscilla Williams
- Brian Keith, ex-officio