D R A F T
Cross-Divisional Meeting Minutes
July 12, 2007
Database Locator Update – Marilyn Ochoa
Marilyn reviewed the changes being made to the Database Locator web page, which can be viewed here. The truncation has changed and as of Fall 2007, the WebLuis locator will be discontinued and MetaLib/Research Gateway will be used instead. There are tutorials available (through Marilyn). Work on the Project Starter page will continue over the summer. The Quick Links and Trial Subscriptions pages will not change.
Hiring Freeze and Search Updates – Brian Keith
The incoming budget projects a $30 million deficit for UF, as a result of bad revenue and increased expense has resulted in budget cuts and a University-wide hiring freeze. Brian reviewed the effect on the Libraries, available as a document here.
- This should not affect benefits for employees, though employers will have higher premiums. Dental insurance rates will change per the usual. There will be a Benefits Fair at JWRU on October 1-2, 2007.
- President Machen is expected to send budget cuts within in the next few weeks. The hiring freeze applies to benefited positions (Faculty, Staff), but does not apply to OPS, Graduate Assistants, Post-Doctoral Assistants, Fellowships, Student Assistants, and Federal Work-Study positions.
- Student and part-time OPS posts generate an average of 70 applications per position. Prospects can register to get notices about HR policy changes via e-mail.
- Brian reviewed the current search status for each open position.
- Reclassification: Based on the current economy, the remainder of reclassification funds will not be available until further notice.
- Layoffs are not anticipated.
Aleph 18 OPAC/Upgrade - Rich Bennett & LeiLani Freund
The Aleph 18 upgrade has been delayed for two weeks because of integration problems with the Endeca OPAC. The Endeca OPAC Sub-Committee is investigating ways to fix the problem, which was discovered last week. Dean Russell advocated moving forward with the upgrade, and FCLA is working with Endeca but have yet to find a solution. If a solution is not found, the sub-committee will look to other university pages for ideas. It is anticipated that Aleph 18 will be used for Fall 2007, with a possibility of implementing Endeca in Spring 2008. The charge to the committee is to make Aleph look similar to the current OPAC, and changes will be made to the style sheet. A current version can be viewed here. Send any questions to Rich or LeiLani.
Lori Driscoll reviewed the service changes that will occur over the upgrade weekend. They included manual check-outs through the weekend, additional staffing through the first week for back-dating, and a limit on maximum number of check-outs. Access Services has been working with Systems pre-launch to ensure a smooth transition. Send any questions to Lori.
Ares Implementation – Michelle Foss
The Ares Course Reserve system was implemented a month ago. It looks similar to ILLIAD and is separate from the Aleph Course Reserve system. Video tutorials have been added and Faculty training will be offered throughout the summer. It is anticipated that the remainder of documents will be merged by Fall. There are currently 609 registered users and 187 instructors. Send any enhancement requests to Michelle.
CONSER Standards – Naomi Young
A Cataloging cheat sheet is available here. Based on results from a Pilot Program, Cataloging will be using fewer unique titles for Serials, unless otherwise requested. Feedback on this change is encouraged.
ARL Statistics Review Task Force – Steve Carrico and Jason Fleming
ARL recently changed the way in which statistics will be reported. The Task Force is working on a tutorial for statistics submissions changes, which will be available on the Acquisitions and Licensing Home Page. Current forms will still be available for statistics collection, though the Department Heads will provide ARL with aggregate and individual statistics. The Task Force will meet with all statistics reporters. Please e-mail any comments/questions to Jason.
Social Networking Group – Betsy Simpson
Reporting for Michele Crump, Betsy explained that the directors are looking into creating a Social Networking Task Group with cross-divisional membership to explore Library 2.0 technologies for local application. This Group would report to Carol Turner and Michele Crump.
- The Grants Management Committee will be making presentations on the 2007-8 Mini Grant Initiative at Departmental Meetings.
- UF will be celebrating its 100-year anniversary as a Federal Depository Library. The 100-Year Celebration will be a day-long meeting on August 17, with the Celebration at 1:30. Invitations have been issued state-wide.
- The Bean Bag chairs have been removed from the 3rd Floor of Library West, for sanitary purposes. They will not be returned.
- Krishna lunch will not be served during Summer B. It will resume for Fall 2007 classes.
- Next Meeting: October 11
Next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, October 11, 10:00-11:30am, Smathers Room 1A.