TS/PS/CM Meeting Minutes
October 13, 2005
Betsy Simpson reminded the group that the plan is to have a TS/PS/CM meeting quarterly. The participants may vary depending upon the agenda topics.
A-Team (Cathy Martyniak)
Co-chaired by Cathy Martyniak and Doug Kiker, A-Team consists of staff throughout the library whose work involves serials/periodicals check-in, claiming, and binding. The Serials Operations Committee and the Library Binding Committee were merged to form A-Team. Recently, the group has been addressing issues related to item sorting.
Continuing Resources Policy Group (Cathy Martyniak)
Chaired by Michele Crump, the Continuing Resources Policy Group establishes librarywide policies related to continuations control. Previously known as the Serials Policy Committee, it changed its name to reflect its broader scope. Two current initiatives include the acquisition and loading of Serials Solutions records and associated record maintenance and, per Naomi Young, investigations into implementing an Electronic Resource Management (ERM) system.
TS Aleph Implementation Group (Betsy Simpson)
The TS Aleph Implementation Group is primarily composed of staff from Technology Services, but also includes reps from Public Services (Jan Swanbeck) and Law and Health. Among other topics, the group is interested in establishing a structure for macro development, creating a New Title list, identifying Aleph training needs, and working closely with FCLA to enhance bib record loaders, improve the maintenance and display of name, series, and subject headings in the catalog, and generate Aleph reports.
Circulation Policy Committee (Lori Driscoll)
Carol Turner is convener for the Circulation Policy Committee, which sets policy and procedures for circulation services. Committee members represent Public Services staff working at the reference and circulation desks throughout the library. Currently, the committee has been busy revising the Circulation Manual and identifying training needs. Matthew Daley has been appointed to coordinate these efforts. Other items on the committee's agenda include special borrower privileges, group study rooms, cell phone use, and food restrictions.
Public Services Council (Carol Drum)
Carol Turner, Chair of the Public Services Council, collaborates with the Public Services Steering Committee to lead the council in addressing Public Services concerns throughout the library. On the council's agenda recently were:
- status report from the Public Relations and Marketing Committee
- LAD move, which is going well per Lori (see update). The work should be completed the week of October 17.)
- Reconfiguration of the public computers, which is extremely labor intensive according to Leilani Freund. Beginning the second week of October, a group of 7 staff spent 8 hours updating 8 computers in Government Documents.
- Ask-a-Librarian service, which is up and running with a new instant messaging interface. On a related note, Carol commented that Science doesn’t seem to be receiving e-mail reference messages. Rich Bennett recommended sending a test message to self and following up with Systems.
ENC (English Composition) classes taking place now and BSC (Biological Sciences) classes due to start the week of October 17. This semester the BSC classes will be offered online instead of in-person.
Library West Collection Preparation Committee (Shelley Arlen)
Led by Shelley Arlen, the Library West Collection Preparation Committee oversees efforts to reclassify selected Library West items from Dewey to LC. Much progress has been made thus far. The Database Maintenance Unit in Acquisitions & Licensing has processed 28,500 monographic records out of approximately 40,000: 23,400 volumes were reclassified to LC; 5,100 volumes were "not on shelf". The unit has also reclassed the periodicals in ALF to be returned to Library West, which includes currently received periodicals (1980 to date) with two exceptions - a few titles selected by Collection Management to have all pre-1980 volumes returned as well and JSTOR titles (2000 to date). JSTOR titles pre-2000 will remain in storage because of easy online access.
Naomi described the changes being made to the catalog holdings records. Although a storage note was sufficient in NOTIS, in Aleph it is best to create a separate holding for the storage volumes so that the Request Retrieval function will work. While this work is in process, it may appear that there are duplicate holdings, but at some point the Dewey call numbers on the Library West holdings will be flipped to LC call numbers.
Gary Cornwell commented on the need to reclass the current periodical issues shelved separately from the volumes. Per Naomi, it was hoped that the current issues could be reclassed during a school break, but the Library West completion schedule precludes that possibility.
Rich mentioned that FCLA is grappling with the many table revisions required to convert the Library West sublibrary for the storage volumes to a storage sublibrary.
Shelley expressed appreciation for the committee members' efforts.
UF OPAC review group (Rich Bennett)
Rich will collaborate with Carol Turner to establish a UF OPAC review group charged with examining and customizing Aleph displays. Although there are limitations on what can be done by FCLA, it is possible to make a number of changes, and there doesn't have to be one display across the SUL. Staff interested in volunteering for the group should notify Rich.
Item sorting (Cathy Martyniak)
Cathy pointed out that detailed serial item information that didn't appear in WebLUIS is visible in the Aleph Web OPAC. Due to varying item inputting practices over the years, the display of this information is inconsistent and confusing. A number of corrections have been made programmatically, but much remains to be done manually. Tech Services understands this work is a high priority for Public Services and is committed to improving the display. Key activities include:
- Jason Fleming developed a 3-part macro to make the work easier.
- Naomi and Cathy recently conducted a training session on item sorting for A-Team members. They offered to do group or one-on-one training for other staff who might be able to contribute to the effort.
- OPS funds have been designated to hire students to assist with correcting item information for currently received titles in print from the Library West collection.
Gary reported that item sorting is completed for Journalism and Education and will be done soon for AFA and Music. The work is part of a larger effort to inventory these collections.
Pam Cenzer said that most of currently received Science titles are electronic so this is less of an issue for MSL. However, some titles currently received only in electronic form do have older bound volumes in the stacks with unsorted item records displaying in Aleph. Pam will create and send Cathy a list of those important titles that would benefit from having their items sorted.
Paul Losch indicated that LAC titles need to be corrected, but it will be difficult for LAC to devote staff time to the work.
New Title list (Suzy Covey)
Suzy announced that work is moving forward to develop a New Title list and distributed a draft version. Users will be presented with a list sortable by title, author, etc. Cataloging is in the process of developing an automated method for collecting cataloging statistics. The statistics report will be used to generate the list of new titles, but programming is also needed to create the display. Betsy mentioned that PS and CM input on the New Title list was solicited in late 2004. Carol Turner and Tara Cataldo met with Suzy and Betsy in January 2005 to discuss options for content and layout.
In-Process Requests Task Group (Doug Smith)
Martha charged the task group in late September 2005 to address issues related to user-initiated requests for in-process materials (e.g., In Cataloging), including possibilities for placing holds and differentiating rushes from items that are not needed immediately. The group includes Doug Smith (Chair), Matthew Daley, Missy Shoop, and Charles McElroy.
Item records/IPS codes (Betsy Simpson)
Betsy explained that some material does not have item records (e.g., many maps and microform, electronic resources) and distributed examples. In cases where no item records exist the Web OPAC item display is empty. It is possible to include a statement if desired, but it has to be applicable across all formats. When it's formed, the UF OPAC review group will consider possible display options.
Missing items (Doug Smith)
Doug reported that lost items are not consistently represented in the library catalog. On several occasions the Copy Cataloging Unit has received a replacement copy but found that the item record does not indicate the earlier copy is lost. Lori commented that after an item is overdue for a certain period of time, Access Services charges the item to lost, but they don't change the item's IPS code. Previously in NOTIS the procedure for dealing with lost items included notifying the Database Maintenance Unit, which revised the catalog, and Collection Management, which determined if reordering was necessary. Cathy also wondered if there are guidelines for applying the "lost" vs. "missing" IPS codes. Robena recommended that a group be formed to deal with the topic. Lori responded that it might work best if Doug and Cathy meet with the Circulation Policy Committee. She commented that there are 800 lost ALF items currently and that it is possible to get a report of all items in missing status.
Rich commented that the NOTIS procedures should be consulted because the overall principles will apply to the current environment even though the exact steps will likely change. Doug's perusal of the NOTIS procedures makes him think limited tweaking will be necessary.
Macro development (Jason Fleming)
Jason announced that staff interested in creating macros with Macro Express can submit a sysrequest for the product. He is available to lead group and one-on-one training and will be meeting with Matthew Daley in the near future. More information is available at the Technology Services' Macro Express Web site.
Aleph reports and training (Betsy Simpson)
Betsy invited interested TS/PS/CM staff to the next TS Aleph Implementation Group meeting on Thursday, November 10, when Donna Alsbury from FCLA will be speaking about the development of an ARROW-like Aleph report database.
Upcoming Aleph training plans include another session for Collection Managers re. accessing Aleph budget information. Betsy said the TS Aleph Implementation Group would like to hear from PS and CM if additional training is desired.
Reporting/tracking Aleph problems (Rich Bennett)
FCLA has requested assistance with beta testing an FCLA-developed ExLibris product (Aleph, SFX, MetaLib) problem reporting system. The LMS Steering Committee is meeting with FCLA on Thursday, October 20 to learn about the system and give input.
YBP and Blackwell's shelf-ready workflow (Betsy Simpson)
Betsy reported that the planned October 10 implementation for the new YBP and Blackwell's shelf-ready workflow has been delayed until later in the fall. The workflow bypasses handling in Cataloging for the bulk of items in the shipments.
Among future topics suggested were updates on the issues covered in the October 13 agenda and the status of access to PALMM Collection records via the catalog.
The next TS/PS/CM meeting is scheduled for Thursday, January 12, 10:00-11:30am, Library East Conference Room. The next TS Aleph Implementation Group meeting is scheduled for Thursday, November 10, 10:00-11:30am, Library East Conference Room.