Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Technology Services Steering Committee Meeting

Minutes

Feb. 22, 2005

Members Present: Julia Allen, Rich Bennett, Bill Covey, Suzy Covey, Michele Crump, Martha Hruska, Erich Kesse, Tom Minton, Cathy Mook, Lawan Orser, Betsy Simpson, and Naomi Young

Members Absent: Nancy Williams

1) Announcements

         Issues and concerns about communication were raised at the Faculty meeting on Monday, February 21st. Martha Hruska asked committee members to remind and point employees to committee Web pages. The need for staff notification when agendas and minutes are posted was discussed. Committee members felt that departmental visits by Dale Canelas would help foster communication. Martha asked committee members if TS meeting structures/routines needed to be changed. No changes were suggested.

         Conflicting PeopleSoft roles were brought to Human Resources attention. Currently, when a supervisor selects a new hire that action routes to Human Resources for approval. The new procedure will route hiring approvals to the appropriate Director. The supervisor selecting the new hire should notify Human Resources and the appropriate director that the action is awaiting approval.

2) Udpates:

         TSPC - MacroExpress

         There is a possibility that a MacroExpress state license could be purchased which would provide for a price break. It was noted that the UF Libraries already have most of the licenses we need and probably wouldn't benefit from this at this late date.

         Aleph documentation

         Some Aleph documentation (especially with screen shots and table values) has been deemed proprietary. A suggestion was made to consolidate this type of information into one location within each department to make it easier to secure. Martha Hruska will ask the Aleph Steering Committee to take up this issue.

         Aleph permissions status following FCLA workshop

         A session with Phase 2 institutions to discuss Aleph permission is being held tomorrow, February 23rd. Rich Bennett and Suzy Covey will attend.

         Vendor MARC records for ejournals

         This project is in process with a March 15th deadline. Rich Bennett noted it is a work-in-process. At the end of last week he discovered over 100 Sage Press journals that he had not previously known we were receiving.

         Budget update - Michele Crump, all

         $ 111,617.91 Book OCO

         $ 502,000 DSR

         Reclass project - Lawan Orser

         15,000 of the re-classed periodicals have been labeled and another 6000 are in the queue to be labeled.

         Software testing is being conducted for the book re-class. The 600's are being used to conduct the testing because they make up the least number of volumes in Dewey.

         John Hein is extracting records of materials in the 800's. 53% of the Library West Dewey's are in the 800's. Lawan Orser is working on a procedure that will minimize duplication of work by library staff in the project.

         Plans are to move forward with reclassifying the non-periodicals in April.

         TOC enhancements - Julia Allen, Betsy Simpson

         Out of 101,051 records dating from 1991-1994 sent to Blackwell's for enrichment, 30,239 enriched records have been received to date. This represents an overall 30% hit rate. The hit rate has risen from a low of 3% for 1991 to a high of 45% for 1994 and will likely increase as we send records with more recent publication dates.

         Currently, Cataloging is limited to loading 7,000 TOC records per week. This is primarily due to the pace at which Aleph can index the records. We are working with FCLA to determine ways to increase the frequency of the loads. Both the 1991 and 1992 files have been loaded into the library catalog. It will take approximately three weeks to load the 1993 and 1994 files.

         DLC is working to extract TOC information out of TI.

         Profiles for doing PromptCat through YBA have been submitted.

         CAGER - Naomi Young

         The cataloging databases guidelines are being rewritten.

         The revision of the electronic journal guidelines has hit a snag. The existing guidelines allow cataloging an electronic journal as a reproduction (as we do for monographic digital items and microforms). However, when I went to verify with CONSER that this was acceptable, most CONSER participants seemed to feel this would be in conflict with the principle of aggregator-neutral records. The aggregator-neutral policy requires that only one record appear in OCLC for each ejournal. This will be further discussed at the CONSER Operations Committee (OpCo) meeting in May. Erich said that the Digital Library Federation (DLF) guidelines *require* that different versions of a digitized document be identifiable. Naomi and Erich will review the DLF guidelines, and Naomi will bring that information to the OpCo meeting

         Library Web - Tom Minton

         Contribute classes will be offered next month.

         Systems - Bill Covey

         The My Doom virus is making the rounds.

         Some viruses are evading virus scanners by using a .rar extension on attachments. As a result, email attachments with a .rar extension are being quarantined. If a staff member knows of a legit email that he/she needs to receive that contains an attachment with the .rar extension they should contact Systems.

         DLC - Erich Kesse

         Filming of the Florida Newspapers is now up to date.

         Programming for the Ephemeral Cities project is beginning.

         Cathy Mook, Betsy Simpson, and Erich Kesse will meet to discuss retrospective digitizing of dissertations.

         The LTQF problems loading into Aleph have been solved.

3. Status of (dark) Working Groups?

         Committee members were asked to review the list of committees at http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/ts/committee.html to see if any committees should be removed.

         The Institutional Repository Pilot Task Force report was discussed with CM Steers last week.

4. Bulletin Board demo & discussion - Bill and Suzy Covey

         Suzy and Bill Covey reviewed the Demo Library Bulletin Board System at http://libbs.uflib.ufl.edu/forum/. The bulletin board will be used as a communication mechanism for Technology Services on a trial basis. If all goes well it may possibly be used library wide.