Director of Communications
The Director of Communications works collaboratively with library administration, faculty and staff, the UF news bureau, office of university relations and the UF Foundation, Inc., to offer and coordinate services to enhance the visibility and accurately project the key messages and image of the George A. Smathers Libraries. The director develops and coordinates efforts to disseminate information about the Smathers Libraries to the academic, library and general communities at the local, state and national levels. This includes news releases and feature article writing and distribution, printed materials and publications, coordinated outreach activities, advertising and response to media queries.
The director serves as editor, writer and designer of the libraries’ newsletter, Chapter One, and is responsible for upholding the University of Florida’s institutional identity standards. The director also coordinates publicity efforts to stimulate donor cultivation and ensures that appropriate donor recognition objectives are achieved.
How the Director of Communications can help you:
When planning an event, workshop, speaker, etc., library faculty and staff are encouraged to involve the Director of Communications early in the planning stages to ensure that adequate time is given to strategically promote library events or new policy notification to both internal and external audiences and include design, production and printing of support materials.
- Any materials to be printed and distributed that is not designed and produced by the Director of Communications should be sent for approval.
- All news releases on behalf of the George A. Smathers Libraries are issued by the Director of Communications to maintain consistent media relations.
Examples of how you can work with the Director of Communications:
- Publication concept, design and production; printing coordination
including brochures, flyers, postcards, invitations, posters, etc.
- Integrated marketing and promotion planning and scheduling
- Event photography
- News release writing and dissemination
- News and highlights updates with links on home page
- Internal and external communication
- Promotional supplies and resources
- Event calendars submissions
To apply for discretionary funds for event refreshments, please fill out the form at: