Support Services Meeting Notes
May 9, 2005
May 9, 2005
Present: Bill Covey, Will Chaney, Barbara Oliver, Rob Roberts, Jill SkotkoOn Tap this Week
- John Humphrey is out all this week.
- Russ is out tomorrow.
- VOIP order submitted for ALF.
- Work at MSL - they have requested a new handle on the door where the book drop is located. Need it as an easier way to activate the book drop. Facilities has a lever handle, just need to check with the lock shop to make sure it is okay to use on the door. Probably need to evaluate how they are using the book drop there as well.
- Blind installation crew has been scheduled for ALF.
- Smathers front door worked this weekend without problem.
- Web mail went down on Saturday. Will tried to fix it from home. He ended up having to come in and restart the server. That seemed to fix it, but then there were more reports of it being down. Still working on it this morning. Need to inform everyone of alternate ways to access email via the Web.
- Workstations incoming.
- Have requests for quotes pending with Dell for Greenstone and new Exchange server. Barbara notes that now is the time to replace old equipment. Discussion of salaries and budget.
- Fiscal year end - no official word. Salary budget will close the last week in May to June 6. We will have to be careful when hiring people at the end of this month.
- Distribution papers are needed in Business Services as soon as someone is hired. The form should be filled out as soon as we get an acceptance. Systems should be informed at that time as well.
- Need to review the orientation checklist. Seems to be a disparity of priorities. Even when people are leaving, Business Services should be informed as soon as possible.
- AJ is trying to set up a meeting with Facilities. Wants to discuss what to buy for West. Since the Chicago group was unable to show up for the scheduled meeting, it is hard to make this a priority.
- People - hired a half-time person in Education.
- East Asian Cataloguer - closed.
- DLC - position closes this week.
- HR position - four more applicants.
- Received an email from Special Collections about replacing Flo's position.
- No resignations.
- Barbara notes that we will have two retirements before December: Helen Jane Armstrong and .someone in MSL. Business Services needs to know for sure for financial reasons.