Support Services Meeting Notes
August 7, 2006
August 7, 2006
Present: Bill Covey, Will Chaney, Brian Keith, Barbara Oliver, Rob RobertsFacilities
- Escalator - has been breaking down. Needs to be fixed.
- Painters are on site in Systems.
- We had an incident where a person was cut on an Agotti chair. Apparently, staples were shot on the inside. Need to check and see if it is pervasive. It caused a pretty decent slice.
- Card access - roll-up door in Facilities - would be good if we could put a card swipe on the outside of the door. Will run this through building funds. All complaints go through the building company - not PPD for a year.
- Need to send Grace a request to put security on a unit. John should have a laptop. Protocol for accessing the unit off campus - have to go through VLAN. May take a while to get it working remotely.
- All fax units will go digital, except one per office that will be analog. Need headsets. New one will be digital.
- Wireless VOIP for West. Concern as to whether VLAN is available in this building. Will check.
- Cell phone issue - out.
- Information tree is unavailable. Telecom - to find out how. Call distribution is ready for use. We have an operator in place.
- Emily - over there now - yes, VOIP phones - get them started for the end of the calendar year.
- Paging interface in Library West - need to create an automated closing announcement. Not everyone will have access to it.
- Hope to receive all position descriptions in the near future. Deadline is August 11. As soon as that's done, we'll review it all for the purpose of staff restructuring.
- Next Tuesday will be the second in a series of OPS hiring/budgeting presentation in MSL 107.
- HR forum this week - process of raises - rules of merit.
- HSSS chair position - Thursday and Friday.
- Hope to get a discussion of Maps librarians.
- Training and development at UF - up and running.
- Vacation times - Trudi this week, Tina Aug 10-21. Kristy should have the roles to process new folks during that time.
- Student employment has permits available.
- Paul Wartenburg is earning 1FTE faculty - and has requested an OPS brought to full hire.
- New public services IT position to be hired.
- Trudi borrowed 3 easels for MSL - they haven't been returned. She is out. They are needed at the Reitz Union tomorrow. Brian will track them down.
- Last Tuesday - 1980 Supreme Court ruling - college campus trying to unionize. Faculty was deemed managerial. It would be illegal to have a faculty union. Trade unions should not be a part of collective bargaining. Overlaying interests - faculty senate.
- Bill and Suzy will be out all next week.
- Director's meeting - finalized overall OPS budget and various other budgets.
- Guarantee on carry-forward? We have it, but it was over. Redid - closed. PeopleSoft problem.
- OPS budget increased by 200 - equivalent of nine LTA salaries. Why so many semi-OPS? 'Dirty', mind-numbing jobs no one else would want to do? Starving college kids fit the bill.
- 12 ½ cent an hour increase. Extra money into books. We have enough money this year - should be comfortable based on was spent - one million in expense last year.
- Interesting call from the Law school - interim dean taking over - Butler Plaza issue came up. Pat Shannon just quit and he was the one who dealt with the butler rental.
- Yael's desk order.
- Judaica collection - move set for August 18th.
- Barbara will be out August 24-September 12th.