Support Services Meeting Notes
August 15, 2005
August 15, 2005
Present: Bill Covey, Will Chaney, Brian Keith, Barbara OliverSupport Services
- Barbara laments that all of the computers in Business Services need to be repaired (due to the bad capacitors plaguing Dell GX170's).
- Do any of the departments represented here have any drastic influx in their need of OPS funds? No. Facilities will be reducing one OPS staff. It will be a sizeable reduction.
- The Library is in a budget crunch. Liability vs. cash-on-hand. Need to cut back where we can.
- Hopefully we've done our final faculty hiring for the year. Need to keep the faculty positions down.
- LAD - big move - $6-figure or more.
- We may get some bonuses back from PPD for a service we did not need - need to check back on it.
- Carol Whitmer (Ed) and Robena Cornwell (Music) reports that a program they run for Evelyn was showing work-study students as getting full pay (claiming as non-work study) - they were misclassified. Carol Whitmer is looking into it. The adjustment should save us money.
- The enhanced security awareness should be ending this week. The resolution seems to be leaning towards non-returnee.
- Badges - The supplies are here to make them. Will be issued for all staff and students. There will be a variety of options for wearing them. We'll pass them out at the Library Council meeting. The Department Heads can take it from there. A security committee recommended badges years ago. Public and Technical Services opposed it. Now it is primarily approved as a marketing ploy. Iona in Education has had her staff wearing badges with their name/title with no problems. If it is Library policy, it is a condition of employment - and staff will have to do it.
- Will has received a copy of the PO for the AD migration. He will fax it to Dell today and hopefully we can get it started in the next couple of weeks.
- Four machines were compromised on Friday afternoon. Three were Xerox print release stations.
- Dale's computer had an issue with the power settings - they defaulted back to the original settings.
- SysRequest - DLC asked for eight new workstations. They want them to replace the ones they are currently using that are out of warranty. They'd like more memory. Need further clarification.
- Facilities: print workstation to be replaced? On hold for now.
- The LAD bid - has gone out. $111,000 plus change. Our estimate had it at $60,000. Lowes will pay us; we may break even.
- Ben is working on the big move back to West.
- OPS should be finished this week and we are balancing out Travel.
- We are also going over more budget items. New containers have been bought for ALF.
- We gave the go-ahead to finish the reupholstering of furniture on the first floor of Education. We are considering the lounge chairs. Need a new fabric estimate for the second floor.
- Fabric has been purchased for the chairs in West: $35,000 - it is part of the furniture cost.
- Need to pay $60,000 for wiring.
- We are trying to fill the HR position that Jill just vacated (Dolapo is currently temping). We've made a job offer, it appears to have been accepted.
- We are working on training and development set up. Also, development of goals.
- Brian met with Tom about improving the HR Web site.
- Brian is getting up to speed on sabbaticals & tenure.
- Brian is getting some interaction with the greater UF community and learning policy.
- Moving expenses for incoming faculty - has to be signed by the Director of Libraries, only.
- Need to work on getting Library property from terminated employees: keys, phones, fobs, credit cards, etc.