Minutes of Smathers
Middle Manager's Meeting
September 7, 2000
Present: Denise Bennett, Rich Bennett, Suzanne Brown, Pam Cenzer, Will Chaney, Gary Cornwell, Robena Cornwell, Michelle Crump, Frank DiTrolio, Trudi DiTrolio, Carol Drum, Barry Hartigan, Dot Hope, Martha Hruska, John Ingram, Erich Kesse, Ann Lindell, Tom Minton, Cathy Mook, Barbara Oliver, Richard Phillips, Rob Roberts, Betsy Simpson, Phek Su, Jan Swanbeck, Carol Turner, Carl Van NessSystems Status page
- URL is http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/status/ - it will be used to post information & updates when the email server goes down.
- Right after Bill went on leave of absence we were hit with an email virus. We managed to get it cleaned up in fairly good time, all things considered. This type of occurrence spawned the idea of the status page.
- Resource checkouts are now available on Outlook. Resources include: laptops, digital camera and projectors. They are on the global address listing under 'resource'.
- Instructions on how to reserve the equipment are located at: http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/libsys/sys-faq/resource.htm.
- The procedure is similar to reserving a room - you invite the resource to a meeting. If the resource has already been scheduled, it will notify you.
- Martha encourages everyone to share this information with respective staff members.
- FCLA has still not released funding for the libraries.
- The Directors will be meeting with FCLA next Monday & Tuesday.
- Our immediate ordering plan will be to buy new Dells to replace old equipment - there are a lot of 133's out there and they're running out of warranty.
- There are a few new staff members that will need workstations - they will have priority over replacements.
- We'll try to get an order of 20 out soon - then another batch of 20 every few weeks.
Facilities Status Report
- Liaisons will be meeting this afternoon.
- Meetings will continue to be held on the first Monday of the month.
- Will Chaney will head the meetings in Bill's absence.
- There are new chairs in Reference & West conference rooms. More are on order for East. In addition, there are new tables in these rooms. We'll also be mounting VCRs in some rooms and storing some in cabinets.
- Security - a library-wide security system has been in the works for over two years. The bid process is over and we have a vendor currently on-site, installing the system in West. Smathers will be next, followed by MSL. The company installing the system has a lot of experience, so we're hopeful the process will go smoothly. Security will focus on entrances & exits, installing card access and video devices. The video devices will be motion activated. At night when the building is secured, if the cameras detect motion it will immediately notify the police. This should help in preventing vandalism. Physical Plant requires access to the buildings at all times. We'll leave the key cylinders in the doors to assure them after-hour access. Estimated project time is one month per facility. We are negotiating with Gator One so that we can possibly use them as our security access cards. They currently use magnetic stripes. What we're looking to install is a proximity reader - the maintenance is less than for a card swipe. The cards won't be implemented until the beginning of the new year. Blank cards will be issued for guests.
- Renovation - the project on the 2nd floor of East is two weeks behind schedule. Resource Services has not moved back down from the 3rd floor. There are still no phones and no carpet in the lobby area. The DLC is slated to be complete by the first week in October. Their carpeting may arrive today.
- Air Ducts - The air ducts on the 3rd floor were cleaned - the results were sent to EHS. Now the air ducts in the whole building are going to be cleaned. Staff will probably have to move, computers covered and the servers will have to be shut down in the areas where the cleaning takes place. We're hoping to schedule this work for off times - weekends or Christmas break.
- A new water supply is going to be brought into Library East. There is concern with the rust content in the current supply, so water will be routed into the building by a new main. The steam lines under the Systems vault are to be re-routed. The floor in there is currently too hot to touch due to the steam lines that run directly underneath.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated September 7, 2000
by Debra Harris