MMM Minutes 9/21/00

Minutes of Smathers
Middle Manager's Meeting
September 21, 2000

Present: Denise Bennett, Rich Bennett, Suzanne Brown, Will Chaney, Gary Cornwell, Robena Cornwell, Michelle Crump, Carol Drum, Barry Hartigan, Dot Hope, Martha Hruska, John Ingram, Erich Kesse, Cathy Mook, Richard Phillips, Rob Roberts, Betsy Simpson, Bob Singerman, Phek Su, Carol Turner, Carl Van Ness
West Conference Room 148
  1. New table is partially set up. Corner pieces have yet to be added. Table is designed to accommodate 20 people, per Dale's request. The table will be powered for laptop connections.
  2. They are considering trying to hang the room projector from the ceiling instead of building a case for it.
  3. The walls of 148 are going to be painted.
East Conference Room
  1. New furniture has been delivered. Table has been set up, but new chairs are missing.
FCLA Funding
  1. A written plan is being drawn up on how to spend the FCLA funding.
  2. About $357,000 will be released for the Smathers Libraries.
  3. We are going to continue to replace old workstations. We just put out an order for twenty. A few of those will be for new positions (Baldwin grant, etc.), but the majority will go to replace old machines that are going off of warranty.
  4. We will send the liaisons a list ahead of time that will indicate which workstations they will need to get ready to be replaced.
  5. We'll be ordering 162 workstations this year - approximately 20 to be ordered per month. We'd really like to get into a cycle where we can get them in, get the old ones returned and get them surveyed and moved out of our hands. We can't have them stockpiled and don't want to get into a bottleneck in the process.
Wireless
  1. Once all of the ongoing projects in East settle down a bit, we'll be testing the wireless system for use in the stacks.
  2. Discussion on the possibility of using the wireless in the West conference room. Could be done, but the speed would not be very fast - especially with multi-users.
Journalism
  1. We will be doing some wiring in Journalism. Martha will send a sending a report of intent to LMG.
Visors
  1. Discussion about new orders for Visors. The Directors have decided not to order anymore for now. We don't want to end up ordering them for the entire library staff. Managers need to draw the line on the necessity of a request.
Reserving Resources
  1. Laptop & projector reservations - the online procedure has changed a little after beta testing. Check the website: http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/libsys/sys-faq/resource.htm for further detail.
  2. In testing the projector setup in the East conference room, we ran into a couple of snags: the room temperature was very low (it is now regulated), the projector screen requires a key to lower (we'll keep a key with the projector), and the floor plug is difficult to access (Facilities will work on the outlet).
  3. Discussion on the possibility of leaving the laptop/projector in the East Conference room. Security would be an issue.
EBSCO Session
  1. Rich attended an EBSCO session recently. It lasted two and a half hours - he learned about a lot of things we can do that he wasn't aware of: direct links from course reserve, hook to holdings and other functions and customizations.
  2. It was a very productive meeting and EBSCO is an excellent resource.
Cambridge Search
  1. The Cambridge Search representatives were supposed to be here last week. They miscalculated the drive time between Pensacola and Gainesville and were unable to make it. They have been in touch and are rescheduling.


Back to the Systems Homepage

Last updated September 22, 2000
by Debra Harris
debharr@mail.uflib.ufl.edu