Minutes of Smathers
Middle Manager's Meeting
February 1, 2001
Present: Denise Bennett, Rich Bennett, Suzanne Brown, Pam Cenzer, Gary Cornwell, Robena Cornwell, Michelle Crump, Leilani Freund, Barry Hartigan, Martha Hruska, John Ingram, Erich Kesse, Cathy Mook, Betsy Simpson, Jan Swanbeck, Carl Van NessIncoming
- An order for 30 more Dell work stations is in process. Should arrive within 3-4 weeks. As usual, this order will be bigger, more powerful and more capable than the last. They will replace old machines. No allocation list is available yet. Another order for 30 more will go out soon.
- Fidel Castro is not taking any calls from the USA. Any calls to Cuba have to be routed through a third country. Anyone on staff dialing to Cuba will have to go through an operator.
- There is a lot of change occurring at this time with national and international long distance calling. Many area codes are changing faster than the phone companies can keep up. If you are having trouble dialing out, contact the phone administrator for your building.
- The campus network has been stable as of late.
- There are pockets of wiring projects ongoing at this time. We have about 8-12 in progress.
- Paint Shop Pro will be upgraded to version 7 in the near future.
New SUS Library System
- Bill tried to log on to a NetG course recently and was unable to gain access using his Gatorlink ID. This lack of identification coordination doesn't bode well for the progress of campus-wide authentication.
- It doesn't look like anything will happen with that movement for quite some time. The discussion often comes up, but there are so many different databases out there to coordinate, that this type of authentication will be a ways down the road.
- Prior to campus-wide authentication, GatorOne cards are going to be made into SmartCards. This process will take a long time to implement.
Digitization Planning Committee
- Gary Cornwell and other Library staff went down to Orlando and met with some of the vendors for the new SUS library system.
- Gary says it's probably down to two possible vendors. These vendors are scheduled to give their demos in February and March.
- Martha notes that a short list of vendors under consideration has gone to Purchasing. They will post the list for three days. At that point, there is a window of time in which the other vendors can protest.
- None of the major systems have been protested in the past; it would derail the process if it happened, but it is not expected.
- In light of the Florida governor's policies, it is expected that the system for all universities as well as community colleges may be combined. We've been given the go-ahead for the system for the universities; the community colleges will probably be factored in later.
- Erich reports that there has been much progress.
- They are currently working on the Florida Heritage Project. Also working on cataloguing Florida Planning documents.
- Other projects include French Revolution documents and the migration of the Caribbean newspapers as well as the Ringling Collection (19th century actors and actresses).
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated February 1, 2001
by Debra Harris