Minutes of Smathers
Middle Manager's Meeting
January 3, 2002
Present: Denise Bennett, Rich Bennett, Bill Covey, Gary Cornwell, Robena Cornwell, Trudi Di Trolio, Lori Driscoll, Carol Drum, Leilani Freund, Barry Hartigan, David Hickey, Martha Hruska, Cathy Mook, Patrick Reakes, Jan SwanbeckPublic W2K Rollout
- Rollout started last week. Lots of different images have been produced. Circulation status West set up and ready to go. The actual workstation had to be re-imaged.
- Rollouts continue this week & into next week until complete. Have had some disasters. Hurdles tested: printers tried out.
- W2K at server level? Xerox has changed the pop-up and server software this has been problematic. May have to hand-patch the machines.
- Adobe Acrobat, browsers and security will all be individually set-up on a machine-by-machine basis. If there are any massive changes, we will make it once on a CD then re-image the workstations.
- Authentication is working fine. Different IDs are working fine. Problems have been with getting the workstations locked down adequately so that they are secure, but useable. Should be done with West by the end of the week.
- Once the E3000 image is validated, and West is OK, then we will proceed on to the other branches.
- Kiosk workstation no sign-on, just to be used to access the catalog. Stop gap is 3270. Weve made a kiosk mode that works, will go with 3270 for the moment. Will update in 4-6 weeks so access can be given to people with no authentication number.
- Staff with no GatorOne card need to make sure they are not eligible. If not, the fallback is a Library Gator Access card. It will only allow access to the computer -no remote or borrowing. This will create a record of the user and give them a number for the moment. This allows for no Library or security compromise. We want to give people an incentive to get a valid ID.
- W2K enough security? Centurion guard has been eliminated. We can specialize on one profile that works well, then adjust accordingly. Software control hinges on how you sign-on: different people, different privileges. Permission to make changes is given to liaisons. All machines are routed through the public proxy server. We can turn the proxy off on the machines that need it. Have started loading RealPlayer on those machines that are needed for Business classes.
- NOTIS Patron File is not updated weekly. Now were just checking for valid ID. Eventually we can check for other items.
- MSL email machines not going through the proxy. MSL has a timer program that they want to keep, but need to add authentication. Will do this on an individual basis.
- 110 & 4200 images are done E3000, almost. West will send the disks to MSL. They have some for testing as long as they are given back. With drop/add in progress, it will interfere with the testing procedure. West wants their printing to be working. Xerox is aware if this they can load each workstation individually and put the charged permissions on the print server. This, however, looks like it may leave them vulnerable to attack.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated January 14, 2002
by Debra Harris