Minutes of Smathers
Middle Manager's Meeting
March 21, 2002
Present: Rich Bennett, Suzanne Brown, Pam Cenzer, Bill Covey, Gary Cornwell, Robena Cornwell, Lori Driscoll, Carol Drum, Leilani Freund, Winston Harris, David Hickey, Martha Hruska, Erich Kesse, Rob Roberts, Colleen Seale, Betsy Simpson, Jan Swanbeck, Carl Van NessEquipment Purchases
- We are purchasing a series of new Dell OptiPlex GX240 workstations for the Library West classroom. They will have flat screen monitors that will free up a lot of space in the room.
- We are also purchasing a backup SAN that will be housed in MSL. Facilities is constructing a room where it will reside. Facilities notes that the plans for the room have not been approved yet – it is on hold.
- Mail server was up & down on Monday & Tuesday. There was a shortage of space on Monday morning – it was down to only 25M free.
- We are unable to determine exactly why this is occurring, but public folders are suspected.
- The public documents are used for collaborative work on documents. Unfortunately, a lot of people are using it as scratch storage space.
- It’s possible the outage could have been due to getting hit with a big spam load. We will be taking a closer look.
- Regardless, we need to tighten up on user mail load. We have at least one staff member with 47M of mail. 25M is the average. We need to find out who doesn’t use their mail – they would be unable to send out with that amount of in their mailbox. Systems will generate a list of culprits.
- If you are sending mail with an attachment that is greater than 10-20K, it’s best to put it up on a Web site and have people refer to it there.
- Zip files no longer get through the mail server.
- When people are leaving the Library, is their email deactivated? Yes, once Personnel requests this from Systems. It is possible to extend their email access for 1-2 weeks while they are in transition.
- Generic mailboxes can be set up for departments to access shared email. It can be set up as another folder without sharing the password.
- Is there space now on the email server? Yes, we’ve cleaned it up enough to give us a 5K cushion. Of course, anyone could blow it away with large attachments, etc. For right now, we’re asking for restraint.
- Library West has had a continuing problem with a long-hair, hooded kid that keeps playing games on the public computers. He has been asked not to, but ignores the staff. If he does leave West, he goes over to MSL and does the same thing. He says that he is using his sister’s ID.
- He was in West this morning at 7:30AM and the police were called. The police are talking with him and his friends right now.
- He looks for sessions that have been left open – it is imperative that users sign-off after using the public computers. Gary was informed that two of the kids already had trespassing warrants against them and they will be arrested.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated March 22, 2002
by Debra Harris