Minutes of Smathers
Middle Manager's Meeting
May 16, 2002
Present: Suzanne Brown, Denise Bogart-Caballero, Gary Cornwell, Robena Cornwell, Lori Driscoll, Carol Drum, Leilani Freund, John Ingram, Ann Lindell, Tom Minton, Patrick Reakes, Rob Roberts, Colleen Seale, Betsy Simpson, Phek Su, Carol Turner, Carl Van NessSecuring Property Below the OCO/Property ID level
- Carol Kem has been appointed to the Small Item Property committee. Currently, only items of $1000 value or over are tracked with property bar codes.
- The committee is seeking to track items under $1000 that can be at risk. This is especially true in IT – memory, mice, hand-helds, etc.
- If you have items that would fall into this category & are concerned, contact Carol Kem with your list.
- May devise a two-tier sticker system for property decals.
- This is the 3rd-4th week of the Kleez outbreak. It is so prevalent that it is propagating other viruses.
- Impersonation virus – it picks up stuff and sends it out from your email. It can send links to porn sites to people in your address book & it looks like it came from you. No need to freak out, it is easy to impersonate.
- We are not sure what is spawning this – if it is attachments or what.
- There are also DOS attacks originating from China & Taiwan going on right now.
- It is all just part of life on the Net.
- Critical patch for IE browser – old & new holes found. It is a critical update that needs to be done by all of the liaisons. Only takes 2-3 minutes max. It must be done immediately, please give the liaisons your full support in this effort.
Classroom 148 Update
- Wiring to start on May 21. No disruption of service should occur. Should provide more security and network flow.
Example of Emergency IT Needs Specification
- Problems – permanent lockdown.
- Should be ready to go on May 23.
- We are cloning from images.
- GatorOne cards must be available to logon to the machines. Professors need to be aware of this fact.
- Bill passed out an example of emergency IT needs as compiled by the H&SSS department.
- All departments are required to submit an outline of the minimal requirements for public & staff services to keep working during a short-term computer interruption.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated May 29, 2002
by Debra Harris