Minutes of Smathers
Middle Manager's Meeting
October 3, 2002
Present: Denise Bogart-Caballero, Tom Caswell, Gary Cornwell, Robena Cornwell, Lori Driscoll, Carol Drum, Leilani Freund, Iona Malanchuk, Tom Minton, Barbara Oliver, Patrick Reakes, Phek Su, Jan Swanbeck, Carol Turner, Carl Van NessRemoval of Payphones From Campus
- BellSouth is removing all payphones from campus. There is hardly a market for them anymore.
- Library Council received the PDF announcement from Physical Plant. If a building wants to have one, they will need to pay for it.
- Student Government – will be keeping the emergency and courtesy phones.
Staff Training Classroom
- There has been an increase in emails with massive sized attachments within the Libraries.
- It is easier to put a link to the document on a Web site. This avoids causing mail overflow. Large-sized emails can fill mailboxes to the point that it cuts off people’s ability to send out messages.
- Just need to drag the document into the departmental folder on the Web site. Liaisons should be able to assist.
- These large attachments are causing problems on our and other mail systems.
- Another option is to put items, like WORD documents, on the Exchange Server public folders. Public folders are to be used for collaboration.
- Web sites are to be used by staff that have a document that has to go out. It is just a better way to go – all the way around. Emailing a link is much easier and causes less mail congestion.
- There may be some people that do not have permission to access folders on NT8. They can email SYSHELP with a request for permission.
- The planning for the Staff Training classroom in MSL continues.
- The first training session will be for the new LMS (ALEPH).
- The plan is for it to be ready by January 1st.
- It will have 22 seats and a table for the instructor.
- This is more room than we’ve ever allocated for a classroom before.
- It will be easier to double-up on machines.
- We are waiting for the furniture to be built.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated October 11, 2002
by Debra Harris