Minutes of Smathers
Middle Manager's Meeting
December 5, 2002
Present: Shelley Arlen, Denise Bennett, Rich Bennett, Gary Cornwell, Robena Cornwell, Lori Driscoll, Carol Drum, Barry Hartigan, John Ingram, Iona Malanchuk, Tom Minton, Cathy Mook, Patrick Reakes, Betsy Simpson, Jan SwanbeckState Legislature Funds
UF ID System
- FCLA to release state legislature funds soon. Probably in the $300,000 ballpark.
- We’ll be purchasing the usual networking wiring, replacement machines.
- If your department has any IT priorities, go ahead and submit a list.
- We will try to replace old laptops with newer ones to run W2K effectively.
- Software purchase – for the new UF policy compliance: HW/SW inventory – software that will centrally monitor machines to help us keep in compliance with licensing agreements.
- Will also look into getting centralized disk defragging software. This should improve machine performance.
- With the changeover to the new UF ID system, the barcode readers that we currently have in place won’t consistently read the new UF ID cards.
- Naturally, the vendor’s solution (ScanTech) is to buy new scanners. The rep came by and demonstrated a model that will read the new UF ID cards instantly and accurately.
- We will replace about two dozen scanners in the areas that use them to read ID cards. The book barcode readers work fine with the old scanners. We’ll only replace the ones on the Circulation desks (that need to read the new cards).
Campus Wireless Proposal
- Due to ongoing power problems in MSL, Carol Drum notes that they have been shutting down machines (not just logging off).
- They are continually revamping the power on campus right now.
- Journalism also reports problems.
- We may have to put baby batteries on the affected machines.
- Plans are to have wireless not only on the outside, but to expand it to inside buildings.
- It will probably depend on what money is available after January 1st.
- There are currently many places on campus where wireless is functional. The MSL-Reitz Union quad works exceptionally well.
- The goal is to provide wireless for outside classes and the handicapped.
- Usually, it is normal to do the inside before the outside. This project has been delayed so long that the standard of technology in use is now antiquated.
- The use of the UF ID for all business practices is scheduled for January.
- Need to remind staff that there should be no database where SSN is recorded. This is really serious – there are federal grant implications.
- Must be certain that we operate on nothing but UF ID.
- The NOTIS system will be extended until May.
- Dean’s Menu access to SSN – talk to Library Personnel.
- Even Payroll will not be using SSN.
- ERP ramification: UF Web Portal on the UF homepage. PeopleSoft is going to be the vendor. Students, faculty and staff will be able to customize their Web environment.
- The UF ID will be tied to a master matrix.
- Dean’s Menu access will be offered through the Web.
- Will also allow for remote access to the Libraries.
- Prototype to be available on January 1st. It should be in production by March 31, 2003.
- The example being sited for this is Cal State Fresno.
- All mainframe functions should be migrated to the Web by 2004.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated December 6, 2002
by Debra Harris