Minutes of Smathers Middle Managers Meeting
June 2, 2005
June 2, 2005
Present: Joe Aufmuth, Denise Bennett, Rich Bennett, Will Chaney, Gary Cornwell, Robena Cornwell, Trudi DiTrolio, Lori Driscoll, Leilani Freund, Martha Hruska, Peter McKay, Tom Minton, Cathy Mook, Patrick Reakes, Betsy Simpson, Carol TurnerMicrosoft Announcement
- Microsoft announced that if you are using Netscape 8, - you need to uninstall it. They claim it messes up IE.
- Systems has not tested this yet. It could become an issue.
- People have been attempting to mix the new flat panel monitors with older model CPUs. Do not mix up the new workstations.
- With the installation & set-up of the new machines: make sure the Help & Support is enabled, but disable the user accounts (to prevent pop-ups).
- Turning in old equipment - there have been cases where documentation has been turned in saying the machines have been surveyed, but we have found the machines listed to still be online. Folks should not leave the machines on the network, unless it is documented as such. No old machines on the network. They should be taken off and disconnected.
- We are making arrangements with Facilities to store 22 of the last machines to be surveyed. We will redistribute them for older public machines as soon as all the new workstations are out. We are trying to streamline models for the public area. If they are similar models, it will be easier for public services to deal with them.
- Will is going to request an updated list of IPS and port numbers from the liaisons.
- We have a handful of WAH software disks (Office and XP) that are available.
- It has been clarified that faculty and staff can purchase this software at the Florida Bookstore with their GatorLink ID. Cost is between $5-$8.
- Office 2003 - people have been installing it. Don't want to give the impression that Systems is not supporting it - we're just not fully prepared to support - the techs are still learning it.
- Support for home computers? Should call the vendor. We can try if it's simple, but the vendor is your best bet.
- Will and the Systems techs visited CIRCA (on behalf of Public Services) to observe their computer lab. There is growing sentiment to make our public workstation setup similar to CIRCA. CIRCA is able to build their own computers, they have their own lab to do it, they buy 1000 computers per year - 400 are in circulation and the rest are for replacement, they have a budget for manpower and software. Realistically, we cannot get there without big bucks.
- Replacement for Exchange Server - order is in the works. We'll have a backup server up and running.
- Moving the Web server - hopefully this summer. We have one on hand to move it to. New server will be Win2000 version.
- Email replies on Ref Express are not going out. Problem started on May 27th. Winston has been working on it. Gary forwarded the emails so as to get the replies to the patrons. Have to reply from your personal account. The Internet mail connector will not work, It has been deleted and restored, but some settings have been changed. We are getting close to having it fixed. Will send out mail to let agents know when it is functioning.