Minutes of Smathers Middle Managers Meeting
January 5, 2006
January 5, 2006
Present: Denise Bennett, Rich Bennett, Will Chaney, Gary Cornwell, Robena Cornwell, Lori Driscoll, Leilani Freund, Martha Hruska, Tom Minton, Patrick Reakes, Colleen Seale, Betsy Simpson, Jan Swanbeck, Carol TurnerMicrosoft Virus Threat
- End of December - WMF windows metafiles - threat to all Windows users. Fortunately, our anti-virus software has caught any thing coming through.
- Anyone using Windows systems is vulnerable to attack. They claim they are monitoring - hopefully, they will catch the culprits.
- Be careful opening attachments.
- Public: DeepFreeze should catch it.
- Purchased 110 workstations for West and 30 replacements for old public machines.
- Right now, every space in Systems is full of boxes.
- The 30 for replacement should be pushed out in the next few weeks. The 110 for West will remain stored in Systems.
- HSSS met with Barbara - she wants the specs for the equipment they want to order for West. Looking for mid-January. Waiting for staff to consult.
- Went well - some problems - had to start from scratch on a few machines. We are close to being completely off the old platform.
Public Workstation Conversion
- Central service concept - most of our machines now have it installed. If there are machines without it, please notify SYSHELP.
- The easiest way to push it is to stop services, delete Trend then push McAfee.
- HSSS - 30 Gateways will not update - they will be replaced with new machines.
- MSL - all done except eight. There are several machines awaiting parts - CD ROM drive replacements.
- Have ordered cables for headphones and USB ports, but need to get tie-downs.
- MSL has them set up without tie-downs. HSSS may want to take a look at their set-up. Check with Michael Howell.
- Any word on the dissolution of the liaison program and the takeover of all machine maintenance by Systems? It is still under discussion. No final plan as of yet.