Minutes of Smathers Middle Managers Meeting
June 1, 2006
June 1, 2006
Present: Shelley Arlen, Will Chaney, Robena Cornwell, Michelle Crump, Trudi DiTrolio, Lori Driscoll, Leilani Freund, Michelle Foss, John Ingram, Brian Keith, Ann Lindell, Iona Malunchuk, Tom Minton, Hesham Monsef, Jana Ronan, Betsy Simpson, Jan Swanbeck, Carol TurnerWest Move
- Request for volunteers to help move computers from the Systems vault to Library West. We currently have a list of about 10 people.
- Will also need a small group to set up and connect the computers.
- The Public Services committee is lined up to do some imaging and setting up in the public area. There will eventually be 270 workstations in the public area. We do not expect them all to be up and running by opening day.
MS Zero Day Exploit
- West is the first building set up this way. It picks up the IP. The DNS remains the same. Just West so far - could do it in the other buildings, but it has not been tested yet. MSL has a block of public machines using it.
- Circulation functions will need a fixed IP. FCLA has been sent a list.
- The whole building will have wireless. It is not working at this time. Circulation and classroom laptops are also wireless.
UF Computer Disposal Policy
- MS workaround is to use MS in safe mode. That is rather cumbersome.
- Plan on the fix to be released on June 13 - next round of updates.
- To avoid all problems, just do not open WORD documents via email.
Public Services Liaison Coordinator
- We've been following the rules. Just survey stuff out - do not throw it in the dumpster.
- We wipe the machines clean then survey out - they sell or dispose of the property.
- Position posted. Interview process will start as soon as possible - within the next week or so.
- Who will have input into the interview process? The same committee that came up with the idea.
- Looks like we've got some good candidates in the pool - from both UF and outside. Everyone is either qualified or over-qualified. We're probably going to be looking at about 6-7 people.