Minutes of Smathers Middle Managers Meeting
September 7, 2006
September 7, 2006
Present: Joe Aufmuth, Denise Bennett, Steve Carrico, Will Chaney, Robena Cornwell, Michelle Crump, Trudi DiTrolio, Lori Driscoll, Carol Drum, Michelle Foss, Brian Keith, Ann Lindell, Iona Malanchuk, Cathy Martyniak, Richard Phillips, Patrick Reakes, Colleen Seale, Betsy Simpson, Jan Swanbeck, Ben WalkerWeb CT
Campus Net Pool
- Amy went to a Web CT briefing. They have devised a new browser that students can install to take tests.
- We need to decide if we want to let the students install it as needed, or thaw the machines and install it ourselves.
- Carol reports problems with Web CT freezing up machines to the point that they require reboots.
- Private IPs exhausted, but they fixed it quickly by adding 500 more.
- NT4 outage affected everyone. The server ran updates, but did not come up. In an attempt to fix it, we restored it to another server. The public machines were unable to sign over. This should not have happened. We found some verify patron files in the public machines were not correct. They should have failed over to the other server. We may disconnect NT4 in the future to test the failover situation.
- NT2R1 - right after NT4 went down - NT2R1 had dead drives. It would not reboot. Switched to NT2R2. It failed, and then Will forced it back online. He decided to do the same thing to NT4 - and, oddly enough, it came back up. We will use it as a backup.
Active Ports - East
- Still problematic - the Xerox techs have been out troubleshooting. It keeps shutting down and restarting. Will has placed a call requesting they return.
- We need to get the lists for the active ports in East. Systems will soon be removing the cables from the ports that we believe are inactive. CNS will be taking over the wall plate in East soon. Liaisons should be sending in the list of active port lists.
- The topic of CNS workers came up - they should be announcing themselves if they are working in your area. They should also be friendly. If you encounter any difficulties, inform Will and he can speak with CNS.
East Conference Rm Projector
- The across-the-board merit raises file closed on Tuesday.
- Faculty raises are on hold.
- Merit raises - to be allocated after decision from the Directors. Letter to be issued by Dale announcing amounts to the across-the-board and merit recipients.
- Homecoming Day was recently announced as a holiday. All UF employees will be off.
- DDD memo - they are tightening up on issuing off-cycle checks. They want departments to review with supervisors & employees about getting time in and approved on time. No more off-cycle checks will be issued if the person is missing 20% or less of their full pay.
- Power is not near the screen. Wireless may be preferable. If we use a wireless keyboard and mouse, the batteries have to be kept fresh.