Minutes of Smathers Middle Managers Meeting
October 5, 2006
October 5, 2006
Present: Joe Aufmuth, Denise Bennett, Rich Bennett, Will Chaney, Robena Cornwell, Michelle Crump, Lori Driscoll, Carol Drum, Michelle Foss, Ann Lindell, Cathy Martyniak, Richard Phillips, Betsy Simpson, Ben WalkerMicrosoft Updates
Verify Patron Failover
- High visibility - went okay. The handful that did not update will be pushed. The next regularly scheduled batch is for next Tuesday.
- We will failover the Verify Patron setup on Wednesday, October 11 from 7:30-7:45AM. We'll shut NT4 down and it should failover. We'd appreciate if liaisons could try to log on and see how it goes. If it seems to be functional, we will make the next attempt during a more active timeframe.
- No feedback regarding problems with the new browser.
- Well, there are still freeze-ups - generally, when too many applications are open along with Web CT.
Criteria Chart for New Dean
- The server has been restarting on its own for months. There could have been a number of things causing this to occur. Xerox sent out techs and that swapped out all possible parts. It made no difference.
- A new server has been delivered. We are getting it ready. The plan is to bring the new one online this weekend. The Xerox tech is okay, but doesn't have a lot of experience with servers. Will is going to help out as much as he can. Service expectation adjustments. Discussion ensues regarding how the whole nature of printing within the Libraries needs to be re-addressed. What about possible funding from the University? We have to send people to CIRCA all the time. Could the new Dean of the Libraries possibly negotiate this?
- Carol Drum is developing a criteria chart for the interview with the candidates for the new Dean of the Libraries position.
- There are a lot of applicants. The difficulty is that many are not library-oriented.
- Carol is asking for suggestions in creating a draft criteria chart - qualities to look for in a new dean. Much of the criteria is spelled out in the job advertisement.
- Some characteristics mentioned by the group: a fundraiser, effective negotiator, proficient with written word and public speaking. Consensus builder. Experience with tenure and promotion. Visionary. Internationalist. Consortium participation. Technologically savvy. Service-oriented to the staff and the University. Faculty governance experience.
- Decision to be rendered by November 17. It is expected to come down to 3-5 qualified candidates.