Skip to Search

 
diagonal spacer

Minutes of Smathers Middle Managers Meeting
September 6, 2007

Present: Shelley Arlen, Joe Aufmuth, Denise Bennett, Rich Bennett, Steve Carrico, Robena Cornwell, Michelle Crump, Trudi DiTrolio, Lori Driscoll, Stacey Ewing, Jason Fleming, Michelle Foss, Leilani Freund, Brian Keith, Erich Kesse, Ann Lindell, Cathy Martyniak, Iona Malanchuk, Betsy Simpson, Jan Swanbeck, Carol Turner, Ben Walker
Inventory
  1. Systems has been asking for updated hardware inventories since early August. What we are receiving are old spreadsheets with wrong or outdated information. The information is not being checked. Fourteen departments have successfully completed the task. Accurate inventory is essential. If a compromised machine has to be shut down, we would be in a major quandary if we are unable to locate it.
SAN
  1. SAN installation is going along slowly. We've had an issue with the anti-virus server that was taking up our time. Hopefully it will be complete in a few weeks.
Computer Use Policy
  1. We had a security incident earlier this month - file sharing on a departmental student workstation. The incident occurred on a Saturday. The password was left around. We did not find the specific file that was reported for copyright infringement, but we did find file sharing software. We are currently wiping the machine. We ask that all departments police the policy of not having passwords on sticky notes next to their machines.
  2. We also need to reinforce the policy of locking computers when the user is not in the area. They should be set to lock up within five minutes of inactivity. Please ask people to manually lock their workstations.
  3. Brian notes that a statement regarding computer use by students would be an informative piece of information to dispense at the time of hiring. Good idea - Will to draft a statement.
ALEPH 18 - Circ issue
  1. Robena brings up the topic of the last placed item returned in ALEPH - it brings up an IP address for the workstation that last returned the item. How can we determine where it is at? If you send Systems the IP, we can tell you.
  2. This is just since the implementation of ALEPH 18. It used to show the userid right on the record under the last return date and time.
  3. Lori notes that there is a Circulation history tab on the left of the record and it will show the userid.
Community Campaign
  1. Jan notes there will be a potluck for the Community Campaign. We will combine this with personal testimonies (instead of agency presentations). People will speak about how one of the seven agencies has impacted their lives.
  2. A few people have inquired about online donations - that should be available by next year.
  3. The potluck is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 20.
Employee Recognition Committee
  1. We have created a website with information for people who are planning retirement parties. We will have four this year. The Libraries will provide a $250 food stipend.
  2. Discussion of the UF announcement regarding Pepsi products at UF events.
  3. The Employee Recognition Committee is developing Library Awards - with the notion that they would be presented during the yearly convocation.
  4. The feedback from this year's convocation was positive. Jeopardy was well received and the chocolate fountains were a huge hit.
September Town Meeting
  1. The Emergency Planning Committee will make a presentation. Hurricane guidelines to be discussed.
  2. A police officer will be speaking on an active shooter scenario (ala Virginia Tech).
  3. When the date and time for the meeting are finalized, an email announcement will be sent out.

 

University of Florida Home Page