Minutes of Smathers Middle Managers Meeting
October 4, 2007
October 4, 2007
Present: Denise Bennett, Rich Bennett, Robena Cornwell, Michelle Crump, Trudi DiTrolio, Stacey Ewing, Jason Fleming, John Freund, Leilani Freund, Brian Keith, Peter McKay, Marilyn Ochoa, Richard Phillips, Betsy Simpson, Jan Swanbeck, Ben WalkerWiki/Blog Server
- We are currently testing and tweaking our blog server. The Directors are encouraging each department to have a blog that would detail what is going on. We will send the server address out and open it up after Tom Minton creates a template.
- We will work on wikis next.
- Web 2.0 committee - lots of staff asking for blogs. Now we will have that option available. If you currently have a blog running on an outside server, we can import to our server. Users who create a blog will manage the accounts.
- Wireless has been installed in East - all public areas.
- There is currently a problem with the wireless in West - not enough bandwidth for the amount of users. Ticket has been created with CNS.
- Everyone needs to update their VOIP phone information in the UF Directory.
- The update can be done via MyUFL.
- Currently, Systems is handling VOIP data and Facilities is handling VOIP phones. This division of assignment is currently under review.
- Logan has made some changes to the Exchange server. You should notice that you are now receiving much less spam.
- We are using a spam house filter offered by CNS.
- If you have any reports have valid mail not making it in, please let us know.
NT2R Space Issues
- The BBS does not get much activity. We probably should retire it once we get the blog server up and running.
- We could virtualize the BBS server - as we will the blog and wiki.
- Peter McKay mentions the problem of space on NT2R. He was unable to backup files to the server.
- This is a continual problem. The SAN server will have six times the storage space of NT2R.
- We are in the process of testing and configuring the SAN. It will have a backup at MSL. Once it is up and running, we will have plenty of space.
- Directors will decide how much storage space each staff member will be allowed.
- Lots of the mini-grant projects that are being applied for are requiring virtual servers.
- Vista upgrade any time soon? We are still waiting to upgrade.
- There are still too many reported problems.
- Service Pack one will be coming out soon.
- We still have full support on XP.
- Vista and Office 2K7 is available on our server if someone really wants to download it.
- Bake Sale: 10AM-2PM today.
- Silent Auction raised about $1400.
- The potluck with presentations was well-attended.
- October is open enrollment month.
- HR will be sending out updates with Q&A regarding benefits, etc.