Minutes of Smathers Middle Managers Meeting
May 1, 2008
May 1, 2008
Present: Shelley Arlen, Joe Aufmuth, Denise Bennett, Rich Bennett, Steve Carrico, Will Chaney, Robena Cornwell, Michelle Crump, Jim Cusick, Lori Driscoll, Stacey Ewing, Leilani Freund, Jason Fleming, Michelle Foss, Ann Lindell, Iona Malanchuk, Cathy Martyniak, Marilyn Ochoa, Patrick Reakes, Richard Phillips, Betsy Simpson, Grace Strawn, Jan Swanbeck, Ben WalkerComputer Failures
- Dell SX280s - capacitors blowing out. Many are going out or have run out of warranty. Dell has been replacing the motherboards in these things twice a week for two years.
- Dell at first said they would give us the motherboards for the remaining machines. Now we are trying to extend the warranty on them. We are continuing to negotiate. We have about 100 in use that need to be replaced.
Blogs and Wikis
- Logan and Amy have spoken with most of the departments regarding the moving of user and departmental folders to the SAN. People should start moving them in the next week or two. We have established soft quotas for folder size.
- We are moving towards using departmental folders for sharing. They will be set for 2G per department. We will deal with special cases as they arise.
- The only hang up with user folders right now is the security. We're coming up with a new scheme that is closer to Campus AD - so when we finally make that move, it will be easier.
- Moving .pst files will break the links. You have to reset the path to the links.
- Blogs are up.
- Wikis are in progress - should be up within a month.
- Evan has contacted Dell about replacing 168 defective monitors. They will ship new ones and we will return the old ones.
- The videos for the different Library branches are ready to go up. Will notes that we have the space right now for this, but if the videos become more prevalent and we may need more space. There was discussion of using the YouTube option.
- If you use Remote Desktop, be sure that you always use VPN or else your password is accessible.
- Shelley Arlen met with the Public Services folks about the public copier machines. Xerox will be out in June. Usage statistics have been collected. Please email Bill with any comments.
- This is the last day of extended hours in MSL and West. West was scheduled to be closed during intercession, but the flooring has not arrived yet. The plumbing work that was scheduled should still be taking place. We may not close West now - it depends on the plumbing. We told security we would not need them next week. We should get a decision on this by this afternoon.
- The interview for the Electronic Resource librarian - all staff at 11AM today - room 1A.